Off Topic > Off Topic

Windows 7 RC Build 7100 - Warning!

(1/1)

Miga:
My PC (which was supposed to expire a few hours ago) just shut down.
I thought this was because of the "shutdown hell" thing (where it will shut down repeatedly every 2 hours), but instead, I try to boot it back up, and get a "Missing Operating System" error from my BIOS.

Basically, if you're still running Windows 7 Build 7100 (RC), expect this to happen to you, don't expect to be able to use it after yours expires.

If I didn't have an external HDD from my ThinkPad with Ubuntu on it, I would pretty much be screwed.

Discuss.

Duckmeister:
So you expect that a release candidate OS you didn't pay for should just work forever?

Miga:

--- Quote from: Duckmeister on March 01, 2010, 08:12:08 PM ---So you expect that a release candidate OS you didn't pay for should just work forever?

--- End quote ---
Yes, I expect it to work forever and for always.

No, what I'm saying is, this is just another great way for Microsoft to not stick to their promises. Windows 7 isn't supposed to completely expire until June 1st, and the two-hour shutdown was supposed to start today (I was going to switch back to Windows Vista today, as well). Turns out, when I expect to just have to turn my PC back on, I can't, because Microsoft decided that they should, instead of letting us backup our files and having our PC's shut down every 2 hours, they should just flick a switch and remove a file that doesn't allow Windows to boot.

Wizard:
Mine would shut down too, except that it conveniently thinks it's the middle of march last year. It'd be so cruel to tell it otherwise. :(

Zaran:
There was an email that said it was shutting down March 1st.  I blocked the update until I have time to get stuff onto my external and buy a new disc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version