Author Topic: Sid Meier's Pirates "Live the Life!"  (Read 2083 times)

Sid Meier's Pirates is probably one of the best sailing/pirate/RPG games out there. IMO

Pirates is separated into several mini-games requiring different skills, as well as an overall "sailing map" mode where the player navigates around the Caribbean, looking for things to do. Sailing technique, evasion (running from guards), naval gunnery, turn-based strategy, dancing with the governor's daughter, fencing and strategic planning are all skills needed to succeed in Pirates. During the game, players can acquire items and special crewmembers which make some mini-games less skill-dependent, but must also choose one of five different skills at the start, which the game will give them an advantage in.

Most controls are relegated to the nine keys of the number pad, and the game is completely playable using only the keyboard (numpad keys and enter), excluding the start menu and control screen. This is assisted by a visual representation of the keypad in the lower right corner of the screen, which also shows the function of each key at any given time. For example, during ship-to-ship combat, the "3", "7", and "1" keys on the numpad representation are shown with images of different cannonball types - these buttons are used to select different types of cannonballs to fire. The on-screen keypad can also be clicked with a mouse, performing the same function as the keyboard key would have performed. Though the mouse can be used for various commands, the keypad is the preferred input mechanism due to the game's mechanics.

The majority of the game is spent sailing from destination to destination around the Caribbean islands. To control their ship the player must use the number pad (or the directional arrows) on the keyboard. Mouse navigation is also possible, where clicking anywhere on the screen will send the ship sailing in that direction. During the sailing segment, the player navigates between areas of interest in the Caribbean, including colonies, cities, missions, pirate havens, and others. Wind conditions have an important effect on sailing, as winds tend to blow westwards (especially on lower difficulty levels) and as such speed up travels to the west while slowing down travel to the east. Clouds passing overhead indicate barometric depressions, and at the centers of these depressions are storms which cause powerful winds, usually assisting sailing in any direction but also posing a threat to any ship passing underneath the storm. Unlike previous versions of the game, the Caribbean is teeming with ships represented visually by their three-dimensional models. The player can spot these ships from a distance and even collect information about their mission, port of departure, destination, and nationality. This allows the player to hand-pick his targets, as well as actively pursue most ships if an attack is to be attempted. Unlike previous Pirates! games, however, enemy ships cannot force the player to fight, although they can bombard the player's ships en route to a destination and even sink some (but not all) of the player's ships if they bombard them long enough. Fortified cities which hold a particular grudge against the player (or whose controlling nation holds a substantial bounty over the player's head) may also open fire upon the player's fleet as it passes by. The player must also navigate around reefs and shoals, which cause hull damage to any ship which passes over them (but rarely sink ships, unlike in previous versions). Finally, if the player wishes, he may sail the ship onto the shoreline, allowing the crew to disembark and begin to march. This can be used when the player wishes to approach a hostile city without being fired upon, to attack a friendly city, or to travel on land seeking buried treasure, lost cities, or Montalban's hideout.
I SPENT 3 HOURS DOING THIS POST :O
I give this game 10/10
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 10:05:38 AM by Jacob 123456789 »

this game is awesome.
i always search for the rare ships to capture for my fleet.

Looks fun, too bad I can't buy it.

Always side with the dutch.

Then sink their ships and defect to the brits.

this game is awesome.
i always search for the rare ships to capture for my fleet.
Ship of the Lines are awesome.

Oh, btw: I just started a game at the british side and Blackbeard was there O.o

I defeated him anyways.

Ah yes, I love this game.
I'm installing it right now, thanks to this topic

Ah yes, I love this game.
I'm installing it right now, thanks to this topic
:D

I've played this at a friends house, it was really fun, I should buy it.

My crew is only happy for a little bit then they're unhappy again, so it got really frustrating.

My crew is only happy for a little bit then they're unhappy again, so it got really frustrating.
Tip: get at other huge ships and take all their food, and/or get food at ports.

How do you get this game to work, it won't install because it isn't built for my machine.

I'm using Windows XP service pack 3 64 bit edition.