Author Topic: Learning the guitar.  (Read 4496 times)

What I'm trying to say is, it's good to develop a passion for playing the instrument before you learn about how to construct music. You're basically saying that to be a good driver you should learn how the car works down to the individual components before you start driving. Will this prepare you for driving better? Yes. Will it be arduous and time-consuming? Most assuredly. Will you need to use every bit of knowledge obtained in the regular activities of driving? Doubtfully. What I'm saying is just learn how to drive and if you want to become a mechanic then study all the parts of the car.

I disagree.  Surprise.

I appreciate your brown townogy, but I think it is the wrong one.

If I was to say "to be a good driver you should learn how the car works down to the individual components" that would be like saying "to be a good guitar player you should learn how the guitar works down to the individual components".  Which, while helpful, is like you said, not necessary at all times.  For now, just the play the guitar, if you want to build your own guitars, then it will be helpful, just as learning all of the parts of a car will be useful for a mechanic.

Myself saying "to be a good guitar player you should learn musical theory" is like saying "to be a good driver you should learn the rules of the road".  Sure, you can still drive around, use the steering wheel and pedals, but you're going to have a lot of trouble driving the real world because you don't know how to stay in your lane, use turn signals, read signs, etc.

That is why they make you take driving classes before you go out on the streets.  That is why you should learn how to read music and be able to recognize and use proper musical theory.

lot of the great guitarist are self taught  :cookieMonster:


not these days
kids don't sit around and play guitar all day.
they play their video games. lol.
brother my Guitar Hero.



Lol, I don't know you so I can't help.

I prefer up close lessons instead of telling somebody how to do it online.

But one pointer. Don't have long fingernails. They will mess up your fretting. Keep em' short and have very round fingers, or atleast flatten them. I had all thse problems when I started, now I am good with guitar.

Just find some songs you want to learn and look up the tabs
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/

or, learn how to read actual music!

lot of the great guitarist are self taught  :cookieMonster:


not these days
kids don't sit around and play guitar all day.
they play their video games. lol.


You must be kidding right, -_-
If you ever want to amount to anything, you must practice, I had to practice 3-4 hours a day, Now I have a record Deal.

I want to learn
and once i get good, ima play the KOTH theme song.
and then play COW AND CHICKEN with an electric

or, learn how to read actual music!
i am sorry for the 8 day bump
but
you're a loving IDIOT.
tabs are more readily available than sheet music and songbooks cost money.

i am sorry for the 8 day bump
but
you're a loving IDIOT.
tabs are more readily available than sheet music and songbooks cost money.

So you should completely forgo knowing anything about how musical theory works based on the misguided assumption that sheet music can't be printed from the internet for free?

I'm sorry that you're an idiot.
But.
You're an idiot.
Congratulations.

So you should completely forgo knowing anything about how musical theory works based on the misguided assumption that sheet music can't be printed from the internet for free?

I'm sorry that you're an idiot.
But.
You're an idiot.
Congratulations.
oh lawd, this argument again.
i know how to read sheet music, i do not bitch about it, but notation and tablature do the SAME loving THING, ie: convey how to play music
notation is no better, and yet again
tablature is more common, it's easier to find tabs for a song than sheet music
get the stick out of your ass and stop acting like you're superior because you can read music in a more vague manor.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 10:11:48 AM by Sheezy »

oh lawd, this argument again.
i know how to read sheet music, i do not bitch about it, but notation and tablature do the SAME loving THING, ie: convey how to play music
notation is no better, and yet again
tablature is more common, it's easier to find tabs for a song than sheet music
get the stick out of your ass and stop acting like you're superior because you can read music in a more vague manor.

Your argument is invalid because you already know how to read sheet music.  This proves my original point entirely.

Tabs and notation are not the same thing.  Tabs don't teach you anything besides where to put your fingers.  It's best to learn sheet music first, then use tabs once you have a good understanding of musical theory.

Your argument is invalid because you already know how to read sheet music.  This proves my original point entirely.

Tabs and notation are not the same thing.  Tabs don't teach you anything besides where to put your fingers.  It's best to learn sheet music first, then use tabs once you have a good understanding of musical theory.
what the forget?
so does notation, dumbforget.

Just find some songs you want to learn and look up the tabs
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/
Thats my homepage :D