Author Topic: I absolutlely cannot host my own server.  (Read 2327 times)

I tried that and no success. Could a wierd firewall be preventing it? Or do I just port-forward and dissable UPnP?
Yes.

That's actually quite a normal thing to do
http://lists.samba.org/archive/linux/2001-October/000890.html
> > The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) has reserved the
> > following three blocks of the IP address space for private internets:
> >
> >       10.0.0.0    - 10.255.255.255  (10/8 prefix)
> >       172.16.0.0  - 172.31.255.255  (172.16/12 prefix)
> >       192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255 (192.168/16 prefix)

lol'd

When BL version 14 came out it stated that anybody can host their own server now. Case closed people now lock this topic! :P

When BL version 14 came out it stated that anybody can host their own server now. Case closed people now lock this topic! :P
Please don't post things like this if you don't know what you are talking about. Anybody could host their server before hand, it just took more effort. The update actually said something along the lines of "port forwarding is no longer necessary for most people".

Could a weird firewall be preventing it?

Yes.
Could that firewall be named SPI Firewall Protection, and is it a good idea to disable it?

Not too sure about it's exact function, but a quick wiki says it's basically a packet inspector; this means it could be causing trouble. What I would do is a quick test with someone trying to connect to your server while it's disabled. If this doesn't fix it I would re-enable it.

Not too sure about it's exact function, but a quick wiki says it's basically a packet inspector; this means it could be causing trouble. What I would do is a quick test with someone trying to connect to your server while it's disabled. If this doesn't fix it I would re-enable it.
Alright. Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Nope. Didn't work. Why my router is giving my crap is beyond me.

So something suspicious caught my eye. This DMZ isn't enabled. Should it be?

DMZ (De-Militarized Zone) basically removes any kind of protection that the router may be providing (port forwarding, firewalls etc.) to a specific IP or part of LAN. It means you are sort of cut off from the rest of the network as well, and almost treated like you're part of the internet (very vaguely).

To be honest, with all the settings you have tried disabling I doubt that this would provide a solution; however you could try. Again this may leave the computer at risk, and I would revert if it doesn't work... Although if you have a decent firewall, anti virus/spyware running you should be fine.

If it helps any, this is my router.
An I have a windstream modem. SpeedStream 4200 to be exact. Does this make a difference at all?

Help... PLEASE! I'm desperate...

Double bump... Don't make me do triple.

Triple... really?

I just want to host my own server agian!! Will anyone help me!?