Author Topic: Worlds (AKA "The Planets" map)  (Read 29018 times)

How? its true that it would take some years to get to the sun with our current technology, and i do also know that solar flares travel super fast, not just stay around, but still i would like it if you could go into this field thing, and get damaged.
And why don't we go block all sound in space, as there isn't sound in it!
Why don't we let space kill anybody instantly without a helmet!
The list goes on and on..
Also, i just managed to make a planet sphere,i could help you with the DTS work if you need it.

I do admit the inside texture needs work, though.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 05:58:42 AM by Aphtonites »

Looks good. I like the clouds on the inside. The worlds are cubes though, not spheres.

I have an idea in mind for how I want them to look texture-wise so let me get back to you on that.

Some details have been added to the Lava world. I'll post the original image first for comparison.

I've found that you can simulate "fireballs" falling from the sky using baseplates high up with events that randomly spawn tank shell projectiles. It isn't perfect, but it will give the lava world something special (other than deadly lava). I imagine the idea could be reused on other worlds...like you could have randomly occurring rain storms with clouds and precipitation assuming we had an appropriate emitter.

Please, no more suggestions about the sun. It will simply be the sun you always see in the skybox. There is no merit in having a sun you can actually travel to.

I might be able to write a script that could make fireballs appear from the sky without the use of a baseplate.

And why don't we go block all sound in space, as there isn't sound in it!
Why don't we let space kill anybody instantly without a helmet!
The list goes on and on..
Alright, you got me there.
anyways...
Will the cubes you talk about as planets be shaped roundish, but not a perfect sphere?

Really nice concept.
I like the idea of the map being built out of bricks!

I think that each different "world" should have a sphere exterior texture that you can fly through (much like Planets). But the texture spheres are big enough for each world to still be a cube in the center. The sphere's could have different blocko continents on them or something along that line. If the outside's were also shaped like a giant cube, chances are it would look awkward or ugly (perhaps both). Maybe surrounding each cube (inside the sphere) is a ring of clouds or haze so it doesn't look like it's just floating there.

Now seems as good a time as any to stress the fact that these are intended to be "Worlds" rather than "Planets".

If the goal were to simply create a crude replica of our solar system, all I'd have to do is update the interiors and slap on the old spherical DTS shapes. That isn't an improvement, nor a worthwhile use of my time. Blockland, and the engine it is built upon, isn't suited for a proper rendition of a solar system and as such I've altered my design.

I've already discussed it, but it deserves to be mentioned again; the goal isn't to create spherical planets. The goal is to create interesting environments to play on. What made the original map interesting was having separate build areas, not having poorly made planet-like objects. That idea of having separate build areas is perfectly preserved in this new map, and in fact will be improved upon thanks to the uniqueness of each location. Having the worlds be cubes solves and/or sidesteps a multitude of technical issues and at the same time draws it in to fit with the BL-style I've mentioned before. It makes little sense to have the terrain be square in appearance, and then to fall back to the old method of using spheres for the outside.

Love the lava world.

If people want a cubeland, they could easily make it themselves. I see no reason why to make brick-like landscapes to build on besides lowering brick count.

Since you aren't recreating "Planets", which is what I was really hoping for, how about you don't even have a texture around each "world"? A huge texture cube would look bulky and ugly (I'll be shocked otherwise).

So, you want this kind of planet,

I whipped this up in 3Ds max, so,
Blocky styled planets?
I'm not saying i'll make a planet JUST like that, i just want to know if that's the kind you want, and if possible, with clouds going around it.
Or have a blocky planet with a realistic texture, like Bizarro world in those old marvel comics.

If people want a cubeland, they could easily make it themselves. I see no reason why to make brick-like landscapes to build on besides lowering brick count.

Since you aren't recreating "Planets", which is what I was really hoping for, how about you don't even have a texture around each "world"? A huge texture cube would look bulky and ugly (I'll be shocked otherwise).

The reason for having brick-like terrain isn't simply to lower the brick count, although it does achieve that goal. The goal is to encourage creative building which is something that rarely happens in BL when you simply give players a blank 'slate' (pun intended). I'd like to make a map that isn't just a slate or slopes edit and is slightly more than just an odd bunch of flat interiors scattered around a map to replicate the planets in our solar system.

We'll see about the sky. It's a little premature to be calling a design ugly when you haven't even seen a prototype. If something genuinely looks or performs poorly in the map I won't include it. Have a little faith.

Not far off Aphtonites. Your first design is closer. I think having two layers would be the best idea; one for the "surface" texture, and a separate, slightly transparent, layer for some clouds. If possible, we should be able to get the cloud texture to rotate around the object independent of the cube it is placed on. The latter design is not what I have in mind; I don't intend to use realistic textures in the map.

Not far off Aphtonites. Your first design is closer. I think having two layers would be the best idea; one for the "surface" texture, and a separate, slightly transparent, layer for some clouds. If possible, we should be able to get the cloud texture to rotate around the object independent of the cube it is placed on. The latter design is not what I have in mind; I don't intend to use realistic textures in the map.
Amazing.

I love how this is turning out :D