Author Topic: [~WIP~] Beach Dead [D-Day TDM]  (Read 3655 times)

Beach Dead
Yes, I know the name's from Conker L&R

Yesterday I started building a D-Day build, (I usually do it every once and a while, never finish them) and it started coming out really well, so now I've decided to show the build to everyone who frequents the Gallery!

Remember this is a WIP! The way the TDM will work is by taking over a control point at the gun nests, then the spawn points will shift and the defending team would move onto the trenches, and so on. (The trenches look extremly odd to me, post suggestions for that please.)

Looks like a good start ^_^

Looks like a good start ^_^
Thanks, oh and also, I'm currently hosting this build if you want to come see it.

Thanks, oh and also, I'm currently hosting this build if you want to come see it.

Alright, i'll come check it out inasec.

Moar ramps for trenches :3

the trench need a turted oh and its me Lt.Ghost :P

http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=107413.0
I like mine better
but yours is still WIP.
I still find a few problems with yours, but I'm not going to bump your topic.
-The Carrier boat is too rectangular
-The Swastika is pretty poorly made
-Beach was too square
-Dirt leading up to bunker is too orthodox

I still find a few problems with yours, but I'm not going to bump your topic.
-The Carrier boat is too rectangular
-The Swastika is pretty poorly made
-Beach was too square
-Dirt leading up to bunker is too orthodox
Yeah, true, but it's still good. :3

Progress shot, beach is better now imo:

Yeah, true, but it's still good. :3

Progress shot, beach is better now imo:

Yeah, looks better.

This is...

Not actually that bad. Which means a lot coming from myself. Try not to fall into the standard traps with D-Day DMs though.
I would emphasize the cliff-faces and bunkers instead of the beach. I suggest some intricate but small tunnels running through the cliff connecting bunkers, and larger structures rather than masses of sandbags, boxes and what have you.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 05:20:41 PM by rkynick »

This is...

Not actually that bad. Which means a lot coming from myself. Try not to fall into the standard traps with D-Day DMs though.
I would emphasize the cliff-faces and bunkers instead of the beach. I suggest some intricate but small tunnels running through the cliff connecting bunkers, and larger structures rather than masses of sandbags, boxes and what have you.
So you're saying I should redo the bunkers? I did do them really half-assed. I think I'll would also need to increase the size of the beach's width if I want to achieve the feeling you're telling me to go for. I mostly added the sandbags because I wanted some kind of cover while people went from bunker to bunker. Also, what do you recommend exactly for the cliff faces? I find that the cliff was done well, even if it lacks some detailing.

What do you mean by "Try not to fall into the standard traps with D-Day DMs though"? By that I'm thinking that you're telling me to have my build well detailed+proportionally sized.

So you're saying I should redo the bunkers? I did do them really half-assed. I think I'll would also need to increase the size of the beach's width if I want to achieve the feeling you're telling me to go for. I mostly added the sandbags because I wanted some kind of cover while people went from bunker to bunker. Also, what do you recommend exactly for the cliff faces? I find that the cliff was done well, even if it lacks some detailing.

What do you mean by "Try not to fall into the standard traps with D-Day DMs though"? By that I'm thinking that you're telling me to have my build well detailed+proportionally sized.

I recommend you keep on doing what you're doing with the cliff faces; I mean that, the beach section of D-Day is usually drawn out and is boring; the cliffs should then be focused on instead.

Increasing the width would not hurt, provided you break up the beach ( I suggest a cliff reaching out into the beach to separate it into sides or whatever)

Cover should be there, just some sandbags (the sandbags are well done, though, so just some) should be replaced with extensions of the bunkers: extra rooms, concrete walls, et cetera.

The standard D-Day traps are basically
1) prop spam. Usually, a flat and otherwise plain surface is laid down, and a bunch of crates, boat traps (which are iconic of D-day because of the low tide whatever) and sandbags are put everywhere. The props define the map instead of the terrain and buildings defining the map. Bad.
2) focus on a death run over the beach. May be more realistic but it's boring.
3) lack of objective. Usually combined with 2).

Functionality > detail, the problem with prop spam maps is that, while props are extremely detailed, they lack functionality. Terrain, cliffs, structures. Functional.

Proportions are also important; the areas that are more interesting (hint: not the beach) should be emphasized. Personally, I suggest that the defense is given a far back spawn, but setup time at the beginning so the first few minutes involves the beach (as the defense has had time to get into position), but the gameplay moves backwards towards the defense spawn area (as the original defenses die and cant be replaced quickly enough) to provide a change of pace that feels natural and is purposeful (siege points?).

Overall: standing on a beach wedged between a crate and a grey X is only interesting for a little bit. Let the offense progress into more interesting areas, while maintaining (respectfully) the iconic beach.