Author Topic: The Ultimate Blockland RP - A Theoretical Discussion  (Read 32320 times)

There are many fundamental parts of any RPG, in Blockland or not.  First, you have to make the user "work" for certain things.  I believe this is where quests, resource grinding, etc. comes from.  However, this system of "work" isn't exactly perfect.  The problem here is just as you stated: Players have to harvest resources for hours to get enough to make some item, or they need to repeat the hell out of a quest to get enough money to buy an item.  This system makes for short-lived entertainment, and not only becomes increasingly boring but usually isn't worth it in the end.  Every RPG I play I have the same feeling of purpose:  to hoard as much loot as possible and to collect the best weapons and armor, etc.  Once that best weapon is obtained, then you have nothing to do, since main questlines aren't exactly exciting or purposeful.

Now, from a realistic perspective, that's life.  You work some job to get x money to buy a car or something.  But driving a car is necessary, and experiencing the ownership of a Porsche or seeing the grand canyon is something enjoyable.

That said, RPGs that try to base their systems off of realism are doomed to fail.  That's not excluding realism in certain aspects of the game, however, since fishing should require you to cast the rod, set the hook on a bite and successfully haul in a fish.  This is based entirely on skill and not random smacking water with a pole item, which brings me to my next point: skills should not be increasing values.  If a player is good at the fishing minigame (high success rate), they have a high skill.  If they suck at it (low success rate), they have a low skill.  Skills are merely numbers for evaluating how well a player is doing, and wouldn't determine anything else.  Fishermen in real life don't randomly get skill, they learn it.  From the game's perspective, the player learns good timing for setting the hook, and what not to do when trying to land the fish.  This makes it fun for players to go fishing, and even allows for them to fish in a recreational form without it being 5 guys on a boat smacking the water while talking about something stupid.

Things like hunting already requires skill in the sense that you need to know how to aim.  Crimes such as pickpocketing should be set up so the player has to slowly and smoothly pickpocket the person, or quickly grab their wallet and run off.

While minigames and challenging yet fun ways to harvest resources may be more fun that what we have, it's still important that the main mechanics of the game work on that same attitude.  Money should not be handed out every 5 minutes (I'll use this number for example's sake), players should have to actually do their job.  They could be payed hourly while they do it, with each 5 minutes being the equivalent to an hour while they work, or they're payed on commission if their job requires.  There could be contractor and architect jobs, instead of everyone building their own stuff, but if you wanted to you could make your own house, since that's not extremely uncommon (example: my neighbor).

Bushido's idea for natural disasters, etc, is also an excellent suggestion in that it creates a more dynamic gameplay.  Nobody likes a city that stays the same forever.

But we have to remember that this is Blockland, and we're somewhat limited.  The easiest way to go about many aspects of an RPG is to leave it mostly up to the players.  Most RPs that try this don't end up as planned, so there would have to be some type of guidance.

I didn't really touch on a way to make the RP fun as a whole, but it requires a relative lack of realism.  Walking through a forest in Blockland isn't as fun as actually hiking, so some other form of recreation specific to Blockland needs to be substituted.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 10:52:52 AM by Niliscro »

It would be a good idea to have to actually gather the materials you need to build, or buy them. You could even set up insurance with the bank in case of natural disaster.

There should be more interaction between players. It shouldn't just be 10 guys walking around doing miscellaneous stuff. Rather than having a bank brick, you should have an actual banker that sets rates, loans money, and doesn't just sit around.

There should be more interaction between players. It shouldn't just be 10 guys walking around doing miscellaneous stuff. Rather than having a bank brick, you should have an actual banker that sets rates, loans money, and doesn't just sit around.

You also have to take into account how a player might react once they have these positions of power. Bankers could refuse to give money to other players and just hoard all their money. Someone needs to work out an effective penalty system.

I am taking interest in this thread

I am taking interest in this thread
More people need to.

More people need to.
Rather, the right people need to (those who would be able to execute our ideas/plans).

This topic is interesting, I've made this response.

Sorry about the quality.
http://www.xfire.com/video/318889/

If you have any idea of how I could apply a similar method to Mining, Woodcutting, or in general anything else, feel free to submit your ideas.

This topic is interesting, I've made this response.

Sorry about the quality.
http://www.xfire.com/video/318889/

If you have any idea of how I could apply a similar method to Mining, Woodcutting, or in general anything else, feel free to submit your ideas.
Error loading video.
nevermind

That's pretty much what I was thinking of, however, one thing: Do fish always bite on each cast?  You should have the cast time out after a while and you have to recast.  Also, if you fail to set the hook you have to cast again, right?

Nice job either way.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 10:49:31 PM by Niliscro »

Error loading video.
nevermind

That's pretty much what I was thinking of, however, one thing: Do fish always bite on each cast?  You should have the cast time out after a while and you have to recast.  Also, if you fail to set the hook you have to cast again, right?

Nice job either way.
Fish do not always bite, a cast times out after sixty seconds if they don't catch a fish, failure to set the hook results in the requirement of another cast.

Sorry for the bump, but I hope it is justified by the rest of the post.

I have been thinking about how to separate the modules. Bear in mind that I'm not a coder, so I may be talking rubbish.

There should be a core module. It would be like the pincushion and the other modules would be the like the pins. Give and take away a few pins to fine tune the RPG system to your liking.

The core skill system should have 2-3 major skills (building, fighting, driving/flying etc.) and the minor skills or the fine-tuning of the major skills should be handled by the modules.

Here are some ideas for how certain major skills could function:

Building - (Bricklaying perhaps?): The less skilled you are the more penalties you get. The penalties could be in the form of higher planting times,  placing random bricks (instead of the brick you wanted to place a random brick is chosen), or bricks that are immediately killed after planting. Once you are starting to gain skills the penalties wane away, and if you are experienced enough you will build like you would normally. The skill mechanism should take the amount of planted bricks into consideration and the time spent building. Another award could be having "the Builder" or "the Bricklayer" in your title.

Fighting: We have to realize that people enjoy different set of weapons. Some go all default, while others prefer the fancier weapons and then there are the ones who download every single thing that shoots bullets/hurts people no matter how bad they are. In the core system there are two ways of implementing a skill system.
The default weapons could be added by default and if people feel the desire of adding more weapons to the skill sets, they add them manually.
Other way could be establishing a "class standard" for the weapons and the core could read them from the script of the weapons. I feel that this might need more elaboration.
Gaining skill would be based on the number of kills, the number of shots and the time you spent with that weapon. Just because you are lucky killing a few people with a few drawn shots that does not mean that you are instantly good at using the weapon. Also, titles are a must.

Vehicles: I am not too sure about this one. But since vehicles are part of Blockland they have to be addressed somehow. Possibly adding perks for having driven certain kinds of vehicles for a set of time? The title bit applies here as well.

-snip-
I like the Builder/Bricklayer thing. That sounds cool. Just make sure it chooses a random brick within limits, no 64x64 stuff.

I like the idea with the architect and the contactor, as well as the Bricklayers. So in an RP, if you want a certain thing built, you pay an architect for a certain building, then they would design it, and in turn, the Bricklayers, or contruction workers begin building.

RP Core is the closest thing we have today to the Ultimate Blockland RP, because it can be used for any kind of RP know so far.

While I don't necessarily agree with some of the details of each skill, I have to agree that any RP system must be easily adapted to do well.  In other words, it should have a basic core like you said, with the ability to add onto it to suit different themes and styles.  The closest we have to this now is McTwist's RP Core, but it's lacking certain elements we've discussed in this topic, since it's centered around resource grinding/farming.

I think an ammo system for weapons would lower the amount of killing sprees.  You could have the ability to make arrows out of wood and cast bullets out of lead, etc.  The more powerful and complex the weapon the more expensive or time consuming it would be to produce the ammo.  There could be modifiers to the ammo as well, such different arrow tips would do more damage or be poisonous.  I really hope something good comes from this thread, it would make blockland interesting again.