Author Topic: The Ultimate Blockland RP - A Theoretical Discussion  (Read 32275 times)

I have a basic concept for a religion system.
There are two gods, a good god and a bad god. Every player has a religion bar. A player starts off neutral and they do holy/unholy deeds to up or lower there bar. Players get bonuses for being different religion and often have religious requirements for quests.

religion
Similar to Wedge's idea of character creation based on certain actions.  And we don't want to emulate Fable or every other RP that does that whole MORALITY/IMMORALITY GOOD EVIL thing.

Maybe instead of having it be specifically with religion, using wedge's idea, make it so that if you do do religious activities, you get certain bonus. Same would apply to everything else you could do.

I'm an atheist.
/puts on flame-hazard suit

I'm an atheist.
/puts on flame-hazard suit

Religion wars only happen in off topic. Also, you're not the first.

Before this topic turns into a pile of ash:

Would it be better to let players use whatever weapons whey want, restrict weapons to classes, etc?

Looking at this, and just wanted to stick a couple of thoughts in here.

It's a building game, but building is just for the sake of building unless it's one of these (thinking in programming terms here):
1) Building to block something from passing.
2) Building a path to reach a goal.
3) Constructing a machine.

A big problem I see with the RP layouts is that they reward gathering.  Gathering is gameplay that has nothing to do with building, and it gives a deadline in the form of a resource limit.  On the other hand, if we focused on something like farms for resources, players could construct "machines" to generate the resources they're going to use.  Preventing spam would be pretty easy, in setting up the rewards for the most efficient constructions, as opposed to the most quantity of constructions.

Basically, instead of focusing on grabbing a plot, putting a box down, and then going out and grabbing as much as possible, the players should be focusing on building useful objects up to certain spam-suppressant limits, and in between builds, the players should be rewarded for maintenance on what they've already built.

Before this topic turns into a pile of ash:

Would it be better to let players use whatever weapons whey want, restrict weapons to classes, etc?

Basic player can use every weapon. If you choose a class, you can't use certain weapons, but other weapons gain bonuses?

Basic player can use every weapon. If you choose a class, you can't use certain weapons, but other weapons gain bonuses?
How about more like what Wedge said, you can use anything, but are only proficient with what you use often.

How about more like what Wedge said, you can use anything, but are only proficient with what you use often.
I was about to recommend that, actually.  You'll level up in whichever weapon type you use most often.  Could be Blade/Blunt/Axe or 1H short /1H long/2H.  Also, your "class" would be determined by what skills you're proficient in.  So if you use a dagger and throwing knives a lot and steal/smoothtalk your way out of things then you'd be a rogue.

I was about to recommend that, actually.  You'll level up in whichever weapon type you use most often.  Could be Blade/Blunt/Axe or 1H short /1H long/2H.  Also, your "class" would be determined by what skills you're proficient in.  So if you use a dagger and throwing knives a lot and steal/smoothtalk your way out of things then you'd be a rogue.
However, every x minutes that you are on the server and not doing rogue things, your levels will go down.

However, every x minutes that you are on the server and not doing rogue things, your levels will go down.
I don't know about that.  Then you're forcing a player to take a single path and always do it.  I think your levels shouldn't go down, but as long as they're your highest levels then you get that class title.  If you later decided to become a warrior or something, your rogue-related levels would stay where they are, but you would now have a warrior class title becasue you leveled up those skills more.

I don't know about that.  Then you're forcing a player to take a single path and always do it.  I think your levels shouldn't go down, but as long as they're your highest levels then you get that class title.  If you later decided to become a warrior or something, your rogue-related levels would stay where they are, but you would now have a warrior class title becasue you leveled up those skills more.
No, your forcing a player to be realistic so they can't be a bowman and a farmer and builder and 60 jobs all at once. They can change, but it will take time.

You know how if you don't play a sport for a while, you get rusty at it? Same thing could apply. It could be that your levels will temporarily go down, but they go back up to where they were twice as fast. Then when you get back to where you were, it becomes harder to get better.

You know how if you don't play a sport for a while, you get rusty at it? Same thing could apply. It could be that your levels will temporarily go down, but they go back up to where they were twice as fast. Then when you get back to where you were, it becomes harder to get better.
I still don't like the idea.  If someone is a rogue and then they have a high bounty, they'll probably go into hiding for a bit.  So it's really not fair if they lose skill levels because they decided to do something else for a little/needed to hide.  And what about if they're mining resources?