Author Topic: Thinking about buying Penumbra Overture, but how scary is it?  (Read 1809 times)

I heard it's pretty scary bro. But I saw a video and it has quite a few interesting gameplay mechanics I'd really like to try.

Please explain how it's scary. IE Scenarios. Please try not to spoil any of it for me.

It's probability not too bad, I thought alien swarm was going to be scary, it wasn't.
maybe you should watch some more game play of it and decide for yourself.

It's probability not too bad, I thought alien swarm was going to be scary, it wasn't.
maybe you should watch some more game play of it and decide for yourself.
Probably not too bad?
It's loving scary. stuff your pants scary.
Though, it depends on you though. It's not the "pop out and make you jump" kind of game, its more of the "so suspenseful it makes you stuff your pants"
IE: At one point you get chased by some gigantic loving worm thing.
You have to do certain things to delay it, and you cant really turn around because it will forget you over and you'll die.

This game is terrifying. The entire time you don't know what to expect.

i got it in the humble indie pack. never played it.

i got it in the humble indie pack. never played it.
I played it until I got stuck.

And Dropshock speaks the truth, suspense will kill you.

Get all 3. I played them all just a month ago. They probably scratch the top of my favorite games list.

It's not "BOOOGABOOGABOOGA" startle scary, and there's hardly any gore. What makes it a masterpiece is the atmosphere the game makes. It mixes the whole "stranded/trapped in a mine with no way out" feeling with the fact that you don't have many means to fight the danger that comes at you. Fighting is difficult, so you're encouraged to run or hide, both of which make the experience scarier.

Once you beat Overture, you'll be compelled to play Black Plague.

Sorry, but wtf is Penumbra Overture?

Sorry, but wtf is Penumbra Overture?
Sorry, but wtf is Google?

The zombies in black plague are pretty scary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhdD0lYBh0Q&feature=related

lmfao i get scared easily

i watched the first 3 seconds and got so scared of what to expect from reading the comments that i closed the window >.>

loledit: i was scared to do glados in portal because it looked scary and i hate boss battles trolololol. after a while i actually got around to it and beat it and realized how stupid being scared of it was.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 07:21:54 PM by Placid »

Unfortunately, it's only scary the first time through.

And the first time through is terrifying, if you let yourself get wrapped up in it. Do yourself a favor and don't play it except at night with all the lights turned out.

ALSO. The last ten minutes or so of the game are absolutely the most pant stuffting ten minutes in video games I've ever played.

Frictional Games is actually making a new game. (Amnesia: The Dark Descent)

Pretty much Penumbra, but with no back story and based in a 17th century castle.

I hope that the fact that you have no idea where you are or what you're doing there will make the game scarier.

ALSO. The last ten minutes or so of the game are absolutely the most pant stuffting ten minutes in video games I've ever played.

Do you mean in the first game? I thought it was only the last ten seconds. The earlier moments where more sad then scary.

Do you mean in the first game? I thought it was only the last ten seconds. The earlier moments where more sad then scary.
The first game, yes. It was sad and horrifying.