Author Topic: WORST. DAY. EVER.  (Read 1803 times)

Alright, so:

Yesterday, I decided to get a new case for my PC (as the one I had was giant and I wanted to make it more compact), so as I'm taking it apart, I discover something lying on the floor: a capacitor. The only place it could've come from is the motherboard. Still, I keep going, in hopes that I'm still able to get it to work without a capacitor. As I'm putting the PSU in, I accidentally slip and cause the PSU to fall...right into my laptop's screen, cracking it. So, after I finish up, I plug my recased PC in, expecting the worst...it works!

It worked all of last night with no signs of anything breaking, until this morning. I go to get on my PC, hit the power button and see the hard drive light flash, then nothing. I look inside and see that the green light on the motherboard is still lit, and then I try to turn it on again. Nothing. I remove all power (power cable, CMOS battery, etc) and put the motherboard into "recovery mode", turn it on, again, the fans barely spin and the hard drive light comes on, then nothing.

So now, I basically have a laptop with a cracked screen and a broken desktop PC, and I'm stuck using my Eee PC.

stuff. Is there anything to fix it?

Earth yourself and grab your soldering iron, you've got quite a job ahead of you.

That sucks. On my old computer a wire got stuck in my graphics card fan and it basically exploded.

Earth yourself and grab your soldering iron, you've got quite a job ahead of you.

Buying all the parts (and a soldering iron) to repair this would cost more than a new motherboard. I'm just gonna buy a new microATX motherboard that will fit in my case.

Buying all the parts (and a soldering iron) to repair this would cost more than a new motherboard. I'm just gonna buy a new microATX motherboard that will fit in my case.
try soldering the capacitor back in, try taking out some of the ram, take out all the ram and see if it beeps.

You're obviously going to get the machine returning a motherboard failure, and it's only one capacitor and it's not even damaged or anything, if the leads and the soldering points are still there then you can repair it. Besides, solder and a small pen-style soldering torch is cheap, if you're a stingy bastard then use a car battery and nichrome wire, but expect to get burnt.

try soldering the capacitor back in, try taking out some of the ram, take out all the ram and see if it beeps.

It previously worked without the capacitor, plus I'm almost positive that the motherboard got fried (I smelled something burning).

Earth yourself
Isn't it usually called grounding yourself?

I looked at the processor of my old desktop, and it broke as I looked at it D:

...wat

You owe me my eyes, you made my eyes melt. :(

Well, good news.

Turns out, the reason my PC wasn't booting was not because of the capacitor, it was because I plugged in the HD audio jacks into the wrong port (which is odd, cuz I plugged them in using the same connector before).

So, now it works without a capacitor. I dunno if it'll break again, but it's working for now.

Well, good news.

Turns out, the reason my PC wasn't booting was not because of the capacitor, it was because I plugged in the HD audio jacks into the wrong port (which is odd, cuz I plugged them in using the same connector before).

So, now it works without a capacitor. I dunno if it'll break again, but it's working for now.
wow, the last time I said that I've been there, I was being pretty general, but that EXACT THING happened to me.