Poll

wat

11 Schools
24 (30.4%)
1 Cruise Missile
55 (69.6%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Author Topic: The insane cost of war.  (Read 6302 times)

War is not nessicary, and there are always alternatives.
War does not produce anything of value, infact when a bullet is fired it is unlikely to be used again, thus the money that went into that bullet is lost.
War is waste and inefficient, and human evolution is all for efficiency. Thus war is counterproductive to humanity in all aspects.

But sometimes those alternatives cannot be reached. This forces conflict into a situation. When there is less of an opposition, the easier it is to get your way.
War does not produce, for the most part, tangible value, but instead, ideals. If you are fighting for an idea, then each bullet you produce and fire is one step closer to you reaching that idea.

And war is not counterproductive as it decides how humanity is to move forward when it's in a gridlock. Because of wars, humanity gained many of it's benefits before their time because of the necessity and pressure.

Why do I have a bad feeling this topic is going to turn into a 9/11 conspiracy debate.

Why do I have a bad feeling this topic is going to turn into a 9/11 conspiracy debate.

THERMITE BOMBS!!!

An ideal cannot produce space travel, genetic modification, artificial intelligence. That would be research, technology, money, and materials, all wasted in the war effort.

Because of wars, humanity gained many of it's benefits before their time because of the necessity and pressure.
You're thinking of the space race.

ALTERNATE POST

War does not produce, for the most part, tangible value
ecause of wars, humanity gained many of it's benefits before their time because of the necessity and pressure.

War DOES NOT EQUAL tangible value
Humanity GAINED MANY OF ITS TANGIBLE VALUES from War

None of you get it, we loving NEED war in order to protect our country from terrorism, nut-job politicians and oil-shortages. Take off your stupid peace symbols and get a hair-cut, people aren't all happy sunshine who stuff out rainbows. If we want to make a political standpoint, we gotta bust some doors in and break some glass.

Yet you sit at home eating a cupcake and browsing the internet all day.

olololol

An ideal cannot produce space travel, genetic modification, artificial intelligence. That would be research, technology, money, and materials, all wasted in the war effort.

You're thinking of the space race.

ALTERNATE POST

War DOES NOT EQUAL tangible value
Humanity GAINED MANY OF ITS TANGIBLE VALUES from War

In a way, the space race was fueled because of the threat of war. If Russia gained a hold of space and was able to harness this ability to be used as a weapon, we would be almost defenseless against them. So we were forced to create many things before their time. Space travel being the most obvious (Although, in a way, it was kind of in it's time).

Genetic modification spawns from "super soldier" projects and the ability to help keep our soldiers in war longer, whether that is stronger organs or replacements.

Artificial intelligence comes from wanting to be able to manage things to either free up resources, help with efficiency, or take human lives off the line. The internet was created as a way to better communicate within the military.

Anyways, I hate debating on the internet because I'm too lazy to type out long response to counter 1 point. So, yea, you guys are right.
Also, my info is probably off in some places because I didn't look up anything. I'm just typing what I can remember off the top of my head.

Artificial intelligence comes from wanting to be able to manage things to either free up resources, help with efficiency, or take human lives off the line.
This is an eventual goal using technology that has been developed.

Genetic modification spawns from "super soldier" projects and the ability to help keep our soldiers in war longer, whether that is stronger organs or replacements.
Because invitro-fertilization was created in order to give babies super strength

internet was created as a way to better communicate within the military.
The internet was created so college campuses can exchange information easyer.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 01:21:19 AM by ladios »

1. We need to find the God-Emperor in our modern day.

2. We need to raise an army of Space Marines.

3. We need to unite all of humanity.

4. We need to approach aliens.

Without war the world just wouldn't work. You can't negotiate everything.

It's talking about schools in Afghanistan, not America.
Still, you need to hire workers, hire teachers, actually build the school, order all the books and desk and stuff. I'm pretty sure in the end the school would cost more than one cruise missile.

Because I am saying only Americans should be peaceful and not the whole world. Yeaaah....
I was using it as an example considering about 90% of the forum is American and majority of Americans have trouble comprehending NONE American experiences.

Also on the note of American side of things.
Considering that America seems to be the self proclaimed center piece of most English Speaking country's, Australia doesn't seem to have a War directly of its own where the USA seems to have more then I know about.

Overall this thread is stupid, WAR will always exist so long as one person idea's are different from another. The amount of Youth in this thread has had no experiences of war on what they hear.

War does not produce anything of value, infact when a bullet is fired it is unlikely to be used again, thus the money that went into that bullet is lost.

A lot of modern technology is adapted from war/military technology. ENIAC, the world's first general electronic computer, was used for calculations on the hydrogen bomb. The global positioning system was designed by the US Department of Defense for the US Air Force.