Poll

The new character creator is sexy, yes?

Yes
No

Author Topic: EVE Online: Megathread - New Character Creator Out! Incursions!  (Read 30877 times)

EVE Online is an MMORPG based around 21'000 years in the future. Empires rule massive amounts of space and wage wars against eachother whilst workers mine and trade producing war machines for their armys. You play as a Capsuleer pilot. A single pilot capable of controlling ships of epic sizes alone.

Most of the ships in EVE would require 3 or more pilots to handle the ship whilst Capsuleer pilots link themselves directly into the ship and control it through their mind.

There are many careers and things to do in EVE Online. The more popular ones are:-

Missioning:  Working for NPC corporations for money and Loyalty Points. Loyalty Points (Or LPs) can be spent with the NPC corporation you are working for. You can get some rarer items in the LP store such as upgraded ships.

Player Versus Player (PVP): This is probably not a career to most people because 9 times out of 10 it's not profitable. Usually players find this the most exciting and enjoyable thing to do in EVE and have to work hard to make enough ISK (EVE's currency) to be able to do it.

Mining: One of the least exciting and most profitable careers. It's worth sitting there staring at an asteroid for the money and you can watch TV and read while you're doing it.

Trading and Production: Very profitable. Some people have made billions of ISK by sitting in a station and buying low then selling it back high.

EVE Online is unique in which the way you "Level Up". There are no actual levels but most people consider how good/old your character is by how many skills points it has. Skill points are gained by training skills. Every skill trained affects how well your Capsuleer pilot can control his/her ship with their brain functions.

Every skill can train to 5 levels. Usually the time it takes to train skill levels are in this time span:

Level I: 10-50 Minutes

Level II: 1- 5 Hours

Level III: 10-30 Hours

Level IV: 1-4 Days

Level V: Anything from 5 - 120 Days.

Yes Level V skills sound riduclously long to train and yes a lot are important if you want a good character. This leads me onto EVE's learning curve.

EVE Online takes a long time to get a good character in. But let me tell you now. It's entirely worth it. Every single penny i've payed for this game is money very well spent.

My character is just over 8 months old now and is starting to become good. Yes only just. My journey in EVE Online has been very enjoyable though because I found a corporation and made friends. In this game friends are important and i've had a lot of fun because of them.

In my early days they gave me ISK and I joined in their battles with small ships and it was the most fun i'd had in an MMO ever.

Fitting your ships for success.

Every ship you buy is just a basic hull with engines, shields and armor. You have to fit out your ships according to what you want to do. Every module has it's own skill requirments but most modules just require level 1 skills (Except the Tech II modules which require a level 3 or 4 skill)

You must fit your ship for the job you want it to do. For example: You would fit a cargo ship with more cargohold expanders for more cargo space and you would fit a combat ship with guns and defence systems.

A great tool to help you with fitting your ship is EVE Fitting Tool: Link

And this website provides a database of player made fits. The higher rated ones should give you a good idea of how to fit your ship. Link

If you are thinking about joining this game you can ask me for an extended free trial. I send you a link and you get 21 free days instead of 14 and if you subscribe within the 21 days if you like the game then i get 30 free days for my account. Just PM me if you want an invite.

One more thing, i'd like to make a list of Blockland players who play EVE and if you do just tell me and if I get a few i'll make a list.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 03:45:03 PM by Acid »

I can't stand games where you just sit in a vehicle.

Yeah, they were thinking of making a seperate application for in station walking about. I don't mind just seeing my ship though.

I played this a while back with a friend. Corp leader was a massive friend so we stole all of his glacial ice.

I just started playing it, it's awsome :D

Or games where piloting is reduced to "click here to fly here/shoot this guy/mine this rock/follow this guy/dock here"

I just started playing it, it's awsome :D

:)

Or games where piloting is reduced to "click here to fly here/shoot this guy/mine this rock/follow this guy/dock here"

It's a lot more complex than that you know. You make it sounds like a game for 7 year olds.

i wish i had enough disk space for this :C

looks epic and sounds challenging which is something i've never heard of before with mmorpg's

btw that little chart you put up is VERY true

This game requires alot of patience. I got 3.2M Isk, from blowing up pirates in my spare time and mining.
I got a Thrasher and lost 2 Rifters.

My name is FrozenCitruS in there.
I don't know if I should buy the subscription or get GRID.

:)

It's a lot more complex than that you know. You make it sounds like a game for 7 year olds.
It's more of how it handles how ships work; you don't actually pilot your ships, unlike X3, Freelancer, or Infinity.

I am saving up for a mining barge, and I am training for one. And training will be a bitch. I have to get to Industry V.
I already got Mining and Science IV down, I just need that other book, I think it was Astrogeology or something to III.

Aion is better.

/thread

Don't compare games of different sub-genres, cigarettet.

[thread]

Anyway, I don't get that difficulty curve at all.. I picked this up in like five minutes and got 3.8 million isk in 7 days out of a 14 day trial and went around breaking pirate stuff with my cruiser.
Then the trial ran out and I made another free account....

And another...

And another...

And too many to type up here :O
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 01:24:39 PM by Tokthree »

Just finished training for Stealth Bombers and now I want to solo pirate a wormhole. Wormholes are best for Covert Ops because there's no local channel. Nobody will ever know you are there until... Bam. You just took out their miner and stole his stuff. :)

I should reactivate and join the Militia sometime before the end of this week.

I would join a corporation, but I first have to find a good one, and then avoid being slaughtered by accidentally sticking my finger into Goonspace borders.