Poll

Is this a good idea?

Yes, I love it.
With some tampering, sure.
I don't honestly care.
I don't like this idea due to difficulty of using it right.
I don't like this, because the old one is fine.

Author Topic: Better Parachute  (Read 3482 times)

I have noticed it is easy to abuse the parachute. It opens instantly on click, unlike real life, and it can be used many times. I think we ought to have one that:
-You hold the mouse, like the Medpack, and it opens after 2 (1?) seconds, so you can't wait until the last moment to open it, OR opens instantly but progressively slows until speed reaches normal parachute speed
-Has a better model, more like this, so it's not the modernistic skydiving type

-Deletes itself when you hit the ground
-You fall slightly faster, but not much
-You can't close it other than hitting the ground (or water) once opened

Can anyone do this?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 08:37:45 AM by Celtic Wolf »

i wish i could i would model it but i dont have any modeling programs

When you open it up at the last minute with falling Damage, You die.

When you open it up at the last minute with falling Damage, You die.
I mean, like you open it 1 second before you hit the ground, so you don't really use it at all.

This is a good idea.

Edit: 2 posters below = Good ideas aswell.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 03:11:25 PM by Treynolds416 »

Another thing, you shouldn't be able to use the parachute unless you are falling at the killing velocity. This will prevent players from walking around with an open parachute.

Instead of being able to close it only when you hit the ground, you should be able to "cut the lines" by holding the mouse button for one second. That way you could "cut" it early if you need to. Also, after cutting the lines, it deletes it from your inv.

Damn. This is actually a loving geat idea...

Another thing, you shouldn't be able to use the parachute unless you are falling at the killing velocity. This will prevent players from walking around with an open parachute.
Ahem...
-Deletes itself when you hit the ground
Instead of being able to close it only when you hit the ground, you should be able to "cut the lines" by holding the mouse button for one second. That way you could "cut" it early if you need to. Also, after cutting the lines, it deletes it from your inv.
I like this idea. Maybe also an "unfolding" animation? And before you cut lines, you move at the speed of crawling while holding c.

Maybe it would also be interesting if the parachute could open automatically?

If all of the suggestions were added, it waste a forgetload of time in a battlefield... You'd have to drop from a VERY high distance for it to reach a safe speed, take 1-2 seconds to cut the line.

By the time all of this happens, you're dead. In blockland, you don't have this amount of time, you'd just be sniped in mid air if you DO manage to use it and not able to un-equip it to dodge attacks like the Para now. It's not supposed to be realistic, it's a game.

I like the idea if it isn't used in TDMs though :P

If all of the suggestions were added, it waste a forgetload of time in a battlefield... You'd have to drop from a VERY high distance for it to reach a safe speed, take 1-2 seconds to cut the line.

By the time all of this happens, you're dead. In blockland, you don't have this amount of time, you'd just be sniped in mid air if you DO manage to use it and not able to un-equip it to dodge attacks like the Para now. It's not supposed to be realistic, it's a game.

I like the idea if it isn't used in TDMs though :P
1 second to cut the line. 2 seconds to unfold. Maybe 1, I don't know. The gradual slowing isn't necessary, so never mind that.

I with you on this one.

I have another idea.

If you are in a TDM match (E.g Red vs Blue)
and you are red. Your para could be your teams colour?

YES!

People run around at my server with open parachutes.