Author Topic: Help a noob - what's all the talk about EW/no EW in builds?  (Read 6304 times)

:-/    Ye Olde talk.

EW to the addicts of that horrid device.

Its not a device, its a datablock.   :cookieMonster:

XD

Only in terms of the programmer bleh; it is a Datablock that serves a a device of brick mutilation.

Back to the topic, I'll extend on what Anti-Cop said.

Basically most people are choosing to build without the EW because of retail coming out in 3 days (or 2 depending on where you live) and also there are a few clans which are making their applicants not use EWs for the first reason I stated about retail coming out very shortly.

People are NOT choosing to build without EW due to retail coming out, thats ridiculous. Some people are still using it and some aren't, just as they always have.

For me, wanding the crap out of everything means you can build absolutely anything you want with any amount of scale or detail. Blockland is NOT a 3D modeler and there are far better tools for that job anyway. Blockland is to build stuff from bricks, bricks that are blocky, and you can do it in a land... Hence Block..Land..

I think using a wand is good to reduce lag. Like wanding a plain wall from a single brick instead of using 200 bricks for it just makes sense. Making a proper lego build with some style and detail isn't easy, and for me, shows more skill and imagination than any of the high detail superwanded rubbish shown on here.

I'm glad retail is coming, and i'm glad many of you kids can't get it. It'll mean a couple of months of nice servers before it all turns to crap again. I'll be buying it out of appreciation for the hours of fun i've had in BL0002 and i hope the reduction of lag and server security holds against the dumbass hackers and modders that basically add stuff into the game and ruin it.

Ban the EW. Gnight.

Wait, some people simply "can't get" retail?  Is there something I'm missing, or are there people out there that are literally not willing to pay a piddly 20 dollars for an incredible sandbox game?  Heh.

Also, there's nothing "olden-timey" about it, I'm just not used to using leet-speak. ;)  I write a lot more casually here than if I'm trying to get published in a journal or something.

So when retail comes out, will old builds made with the Editor Wand not be importable?

If the load functions are able to load the old brick format and you port everything related to the bricks in the build over then yes?

Wait, some people simply "can't get" retail? Is there something I'm missing, or are there people out there that are literally not willing to pay a piddly 20 dollars for an incredible sandbox game? Heh.
What you are missing is the fact that on this forum 90% of the people (read kids) here are 12 years old or less. They don't have credit cards and mommy won't buy them it. I highly doubt old BL0002 based mod based builds will be loadable in retail, i think the save data will be very very different now, and unless badspots coded a loader/converter they won't work.

Wait, some people simply "can't get" retail? Is there something I'm missing, or are there people out there that are literally not willing to pay a piddly 20 dollars for an incredible sandbox game? Heh.
What you are missing is the fact that on this forum 90% of the people (read kids) here are 12 years old or less. They don't have credit cards and mommy won't buy them it. I highly doubt old BL0002 based mod based builds will be loadable in retail, i think the save data will be very very different now, and unless badspots coded a loader/converter they won't work.

The idea of a converter is technically possible, Nitramj already did some work on a translation script, which he use to move the entire Titanic. However you would need to go through your save and repaint everything. Also, some bricks may not be in retail, and others might be added you would want to use instead.

Wait, some people simply "can't get" retail?  Is there something I'm missing, or are there people out there that are literally not willing to pay a piddly 20 dollars for an incredible sandbox game?  Heh.

Also, there's nothing "olden-timey" about it, I'm just not used to using leet-speak. ;)  I write a lot more casually here than if I'm trying to get published in a journal or something.

So when retail comes out, will old builds made with the Editor Wand not be importable?

WOW. I can't believe there is a newbie that is not completely retarted. How old are you?

I'm guessing BadSpot's age or maybe a little younger...But, hell, hat do I know?

I dun like the editor wand, mainly because it's a lot of number imput, and I hate numbers @_@ No, really, I have a 30 in Algebra.

People are NOT choosing to build without EW due to retail coming out, thats ridiculous. Some people are still using it and some aren't, just as they always have.

For me, wanding the crap out of everything means you can build absolutely anything you want with any amount of scale or detail. Blockland is NOT a 3D modeler and there are far better tools for that job anyway. Blockland is to build stuff from bricks, bricks that are blocky, and you can do it in a land... Hence Block..Land..

I think using a wand is good to reduce lag. Like wanding a plain wall from a single brick instead of using 200 bricks for it just makes sense. Making a proper lego build with some style and detail isn't easy, and for me, shows more skill and imagination than any of the high detail superwanded rubbish shown on here.

I'm glad retail is coming, and i'm glad many of you kids can't get it. It'll mean a couple of months of nice servers before it all turns to crap again. I'll be buying it out of appreciation for the hours of fun i've had in BL0002 and i hope the reduction of lag and server security holds against the dumbass hackers and modders that basically add ice cream into the game and ruin it.

Ban the EW. Gnight.

I completely agree with every single thing said here.  The reasons stated above such as "it all turns into crap again" or "Making a proper lego build with some style and detail isn't easy, and for me, shows more skill and imagination than any of the high detail superwanded rubbish shown on here." are reasons why I quit playing Blockland.  I see Retail as a light at the end of the tunnel that will eventually be consumed by darkness as it's predecessor was.  That is why I was working on Blockland Plus that added only beneficial things that conform to the standard of "legal" building.  It seems that not enough people think this way, however, therefore the project is currently at a standstill.

Yes, I'm in full agreement with the old veteran hitm4n. And Tele, don't worry about sounding too smart. Don't try to lower your intelligence to make your posts readable to the children readers. Though it can get a little annoying when you're chatting with someone and you have to wait for them to go look up a bunch of words.

I can't wait til retail comes and wipes away the tears of the intelligent. :D

Yuki's comment reminds me of what people said to me when I joined....

I agree with Tele, Snake, and Moch.  Most of you know my stand on the EW by now.