Author Topic: Help a noob - what's all the talk about EW/no EW in builds?  (Read 6305 times)

Yes, I'm in full agreement with the old veteran hitm4n. And Tele, don't worry about sounding too smart. Don't try to lower your intelligence to make your posts readable to the children readers. Though it can get a little annoying when you're chatting with someone and you have to wait for them to go look up a bunch of words.

I can't wait til retail comes and wipes away the tears of the intelligent. :D

That will be the day. Still I fear that a few will slip through the net. I'm only 13 but I understand most huge words. I once had to read up: "I'm disinclined to aquiest your request" only to find that it means no :cookieMonster:

I like ew.
Other people dont.
Its jsut a way to express yourself, im nto gonna trash a build if it doesnt use ew (unless its on my server cause my computer cant host more than 50 bricks without getting one frame a sec which reminds me that i need to get a ram upgrade[size=0pt] for when spore comes out... man i cant wait[/size])
It is up to you whether to use it or not but its not right for you to have a grudge against someone because of that.

for example:

and a non ew build

and yet they both look good
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 11:02:49 PM by Kian »

Wow, nice.  I'm not exactly wedded to the "classic" Lego look; Blockland appeals to me because I'll get to build things that others can play with, not only because I'm building them with imitation Lego bricks.

I was obsessed with Legos when I was little, so I do have some nostalgia for the classic bricks, but it's nice that the game will let me break that mold if I feel like it.

I sort of agree with the "no EW" guys here, and the reason I say "sort-of" is because it would be hypocritical to say I completely agree with you, since I've used the editor wand to construct all sorts of things.

I think we've clarified most of the opinions on the EW debate, if you don't think so, go ahead and keep talking, but I just wanted to throw another question out there.

What do you guys think of a brick editor in Retail? Not an editor wand, I'm talking about a pseudo-modeling program, that allows you to create new bricks?

I sort of agree with the "no EW" guys here, and the reason I say "sort-of" is because it would be hypocritical to say I completely agree with you, since I've used the editor wand to construct all sorts of things.

I think we've clarified most of the opinions on the EW debate, if you don't think so, go ahead and keep talking, but I just wanted to throw another question out there.

What do you guys think of a brick editor in Retail? Not an editor wand, I'm talking about a pseudo-modeling program, that allows you to create new bricks?
Thats be great if it was even possible. It'd save bricks pack etc, I prefer none EW Builds for many reasons but there are some good EW builds.

there would be some advantages to that
such as if you wnated to create your favorite lego set but didnt ahve the right peices
but new debates would aris when people begine to make fully modeled houses as bricks

Actually, that reminds me of something I brought up with a couple people way back...Turning an entire build into one block could cut ALOT of lag.  Coloring is an issue though...

It wouldnt save A LOT of lag, only a little.

We have to have limits somewhere. Lego bricks are fun in the first place because they impose limits that challenge you to create something interesting with limited varieties of pieces to construct with. EW has absolutely ruined Blockland for me, and I hate myself for helping create it. The original goal of just making builds non-laggy has been utterly perverted IMHO. Now builds have crappy stretched textures, they have unlimited details that should never be possible from bricks, and they add stupid expectations to future builds where someone might not want to crap all over the Lego heritage of the game. I hate it when someone says "Why would you stack blocks when you can stretch them! 5/10 because you did too much building and not enough shaping." :(

Then again, if all builds were made brick-by-brick, you'd still have the editor wand because people would be telling and spamming the forums for a lagfree way of building

That will be the day. Still I fear that a few will slip through the net. I'm only 13 but I understand most huge words. I once had to read up: "I'm disinclined to aquiest your request" only to find that it means no.
Hehehe, that really made me chuckle. It is nice to see a younger poster that actually writes in english, uses punctuation and makes sense and with a great sense of humour. You are few and far between here.

We have to have limits somewhere. Lego bricks are fun in the first place because they impose limits that challenge you to create something interesting with limited varieties of pieces to construct with. EW has absolutely ruined Blockland for me, and I hate myself for helping create it. The original goal of just making builds non-laggy has been utterly perverted IMHO. Now builds have crappy stretched textures, they have unlimited details that should never be possible from bricks, and they add stupid expectations to future builds where someone might not want to crap all over the Lego heritage of the game. I hate it when someone says "Why would you stack blocks when you can stretch them! 5/10 because you did too much building and not enough shaping." :(
The EW is great in theory, and for its intended use. But like you say its abused to the point where blockland is now just a detailed 3d modeller. The tank further up this thread is great, has nice detail and must have taken some time. But it just isn't lego is it.

The EW is great in theory, and for its intended use. But like you say its abused to the point where blockland is now just a detailed 3d modeller. The tank further up this thread is great, has nice detail and must have taken some time. But it just isn't lego is it.

I have been playing Blockland since a little before BLM and my view on the whole thing is I am happy that the EW is being removed. It can almost be looked at as  a nesscary thing for the "old" Blockland becuase lag was such a problem. And now that BadSpot has created this super powerfull brick-processing engine. the EW will be useless. And i think that people will get used to only building with bricks, BUT only if good bricks are put in the game. now for the 3d modeller, i am sadly guilty. But thats what i love to do the most is make really detailed builds. I thought that the removal of the EW would ruin BL for me, untill i saw bones titanic and the parthanon(Sp!!) build. Now i'm excited to get to work on some detailed builds (becuase i dont see anything wrong with detail) without the EW. And like i said above people will get used to it, and so will I.

note, parthanon image is attached.

well i agree with the EW stuff aswell but there are certain details you can't get without EW like for example:
have your ceiling without the bottom part of the brick (forgot whats it called)
Precise location placing
configuring without F11/10 (also forgot which).
I understand big builds and stuff but EW should still stay around WITHOUTstretching numbers.I admit, i use EW for everything and after hearing this, its possible il only use EW for fliping stuff.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 06:24:48 PM by shocklink10 »

Now that I think about it, a multi-user collaborative modeling program is useful and unique. You can be trained by other users in its use from within the program, as well as get real time feedback as you make changes.

Too bad there isn't any exporter. I don't think this was the goal of Blockland either.