Poll

Should the maximum projectile speed be removed/raised?

Raised
62 (58.5%)
No change
8 (7.5%)
Removed
36 (34%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Author Topic: Maximum Projectile Speed - v17 Suggestion/ Discussion  (Read 4239 times)

I've realized in the last few days that raycast/hitscan weapons are annoying because they go too fast, but the only reason these are used is because the bullets have a maximum speed which is too slow.

I feel that if this maximum speed was raised, or removed, then we could have weapons which were neither too fast nor too slow and it would remove some of the controversy about weapons.

I have decide to make a topic and poll about it, because I do not know of any other way to make this known.

I did not put this in Suggestions & Requests because I figured that this was more of a discussion and only a suggestion to Badspot.

If you personally do not have an opinion on the matter: Please do not vote no change, that is not the neutral option, as far as I can see, there is no downside to raising it.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 08:08:51 AM by Doomonkey »

I support the removed option.

I agree with the proposal, but not its origins. Raycasting/hitscan based weapons are kewl.

I agree with the proposal, but not its origins. Raycasting/hitscan based weapons are kewl.
Alright.

I say raise, but not remove, because what's the point of a super-fast projectile if you can just have a raycast?

Possible raise it to 400 or 500?

Seeing it is currently at a maximum of 200.

I tested what the speed of a bullet would be by making the timescale 2 and shooting a weapon with a velocity of 200. It was pretty damn fast.

Tom

Crafty coders could make a raycast weapon appear to be slightly slower.

Who voted no? What is the negative to this?

Definitley, it should be raised.

I want higher speed level!
(AND so it doesn't reduce speed if ALL of the numbers are 200 on spawnProjectile)

How about bullets that contain the raycast?

How about bullets that contain the raycast?
? I don't get it. Please elaborate.

? I don't get it. Please elaborate.
I don't have any experience or anything with scripting but this is just a guess.
We could modify the raycast to have the same speed as a bullet or have the bullet as a physical projectile that can be having a raycast in it or whatever, shot out of a gun using velocity, then when it impacts into something, it turns to dusts and the raycast is released to hit whatever.

I don't have any experience or anything with scripting but this is just a guess.
We could modify the raycast to have the same speed as a bullet or have the bullet as a physical projectile that can be having a raycast in it or whatever, shot out of a gun using velocity, then when it impacts into something, it turns to dusts and the raycast is released to hit whatever.

Raycasts are instant and bullets can only go so fast. The only way to imitate speed from a raycast is to place a delay based on the distance. However, you would probably be aiming ahead of you target, and if they were in the air, that might cause problems.