Author Topic: Help Lordician lern2cook  (Read 3263 times)

Ask your girlfriend.

Wait.
You don't have a girlfriend.
Nevermind.

I don't think he wants to be a fatass.
I thought he was American?

I thought he was American?
Says the guy with chin-balls in his avatar.

Says the guy with chin-balls in his avatar.
Because avatars are the window to the soul.

Oh wait...

Because avatars are the window to the soul.

-Raichu-
Oh wait...
Yup.

The perfect food schedule.

Breakfest: Shake n' bake Waffles. Recipe: Shake it....and bake it!

Lunch: PB&J with a side of Pringles and two sticks of celery. Recipe: Durr hurr

Dinner: Fried chicken with a side of onion rings.

Desert: Matthew's home-made chocoprise cookies. Recipe: Dough for the cookies but put something chocolate in the cookies for the chocoprise. Preferably a hershy kiss in each cookie.

Falafels are easy, pick up the mix in the foreign foods aisle, you mix it with water and cook it in oil (peanut or canola is good).

Stir fry is easy too. Boil rice and cook up chicken and frozen vegetables in a big pan. You can do spaghetti like this too, boil noodles and cook beef and heat up some spaghetti sauce from a jar. You can also find curry in a jar like this too, which is awesome.

You can also just pick up a box of zatiran's jambalaya and combine it with kielbasa, it's really good.

Those are all pretty easy to make, and there's nothing wrong with using boxed, frozen, or canned stuff. If you want to try making something from unprepared ingredients I'd recommend starting off with hamburgers, tacos, chili, or pretty much any kind of soup. Macaroni and cheese too, like everyone else suggested, although I think it's best baked.

Mashed and boiled potatoes are also really easy, I made mashed potatoes from scratch on a camping trip once. Coleslaw and pasta salad are also really easy to make side dishes.

Grilling food is also a really easy way to get into cooking if you have a barbecue. You basically just leave the meat on the grill until it's done. Sausages are precooked for the most part so you just heat them until they're good enough to eat and they're done, most people like to cook them until they've got the black stripes or split open but you don't have to. Cook burgers until they're is no pink left inside. Stuff like porkchops and chicken is a little more difficult to figure out when it's done but you'll figure it out over time. Invest in a cheap digital metal thermometer and you won't have to guess when it's done. Just don't stick it in the meat while it's still on the grill check the temperature before serving and if it's not hot enough cook it some more.

You can grill food in a pan but it's not as fun and harder to clean up. On the plus side you can deglaze the pan and make gravy or some kind of sauce.

EDIT: I don't know if you live in the US or not since it doesn't say on your profile, but being able to quickly convert between volumes in your head is extremely handy, and a surprising number of people just don't know how to do it. In the US you can remember it as "282222," it's 2 tablespoons in an ounce, 8 ounces in a cup, 2 cups in a pint, 2 pints in a quart, 2 quarts in a half-gallon, 2 half-gallons in a gallon. It's also about 1 quart to a liter, you may occasionally run into metric measurements.

So if something says you need 8 cups of water and you can't figure out where you put your measuring cups and you absolutely need 8 cups and you don't want to just guess, you can just wash out an empty half-gallon milk carton and use it, or you could dump in 64 tiny shot glasses of water, or you could pour in about 2 8oz drinking glasses.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 09:43:21 PM by Wedge »

make a cookie that is shaped liek a snake.

make a cookie that is shaped liek a snake.
           :cookie: :cookie:
        :cookie:       :cookie:                   
         :cookie:         :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie:
             :cookie:                            :cookie:
         :cookie:         :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie:
        :cookie:       :cookie:
           :cookie: :cookie:

I spent way too much time on this.

Today in Foods class we made apple crisp.

If you don't mind Spanish food and seafood, I suggest Chicken-Seafood Paella.

Yields: 8 main-dish servings
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour

Ingredients:
*1 teaspoon olive oil
*1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 2 inch pieces
*2 chorizo sausages (3 oz. each)
*1 medium onion, finely chopped
*1 red pepper, finely chopped
*2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
*1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
*1/2 cup canned tomatoes in puree
*1/2 cup dry white wine (The alcohol will burn away, this is mainly for flavor.)
*4 ounces green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
*2 cups medium grain rice
*2 1/2 cups water
*1 can (14 to 14 1/2 ounces) chicken broth (1 3/4 cups)
*1 1/2 teaspoon salt
*1/4 teaspoon loosely packed saffron threads, crumbled
*1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
*1/2 bay leaf
*1 pound mussels, scrubbed & debearded
*12 pounds medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
*1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
*Lemon wedges

Directions:
1. In deep nonreactive 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium high heat until very hot. Add chicken & chorizo; cook until browned, about 10 minutes. With slotted spoon, transfer chicken and chorizo to bowl.

2. Reduce heat to medium. Add onion and red pepper to skillet; cook, stirring frequently, until onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and ground red pepper; cook 30 seconds. Add tomatoes with their puree and wine; cook, breaking up tomatoes with side of spoon, until liquid has evaporated.

3. Stir green beans, rice, water, broth, salt, saffron, thyme, and bay leaf into skillet. Thinly slice chorizo; return chorizo and chicken to skillet. Heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 20 minutes.

4. Tuck mussels into paella; cover and cook 3 minutes. Tuck shrimp into paella; cover and cook just until mussels have opened and shrimp are opaque throughout, about 3 minutes longer. Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes. Discard bay leaf and any mussels that have not opened. Sprinkle paella with parsley and serve with lemon wedges.

Calories: 467  Sodium: 1,110
Total Fat: 15  Carbohydrates: 45
Saturated Fat: 4  Protein: 35
Cholesterol: 146