Poll

Keep my current 360 and hope for the best, or sell my 360 and buy a new "slim" one?

Keep your current one
4 (25%)
Sell it, buy a new "slim" one
12 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Well forget, my 360 is breaking again. [Update] [Video]  (Read 1851 times)

Maybe if you didn't have it in a small space with less than half an inch of clearance on either side and no air flow whatsoever, it wouldn't have RRoD'd in the first place.
There's actually about an inch or two of space, and there's nowhere else this thing can really go. There's plenty of airflow in the back of the system anyway, and the thing has never overheated before. It's because of Microsoft's loving terrible heatsink design.

Plus, it used to be my friends before I got it, he took really good care of the thing, it was kept in a very open space, and it still RRoD'd on him.

Maybe if you didn't have it in a small space with less than half an inch of clearance on either side and no air flow whatsoever, it wouldn't have RRoD'd in the first place.

I was thinking this, but thought he'd give me a stupid counter and start an argument that shouldn't be started. Mine is on top of a dresser with a bunch of clearance.

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Still posting this, Miga.

Edit: RROD is actually a "Generic Error." AKA, it can't be self-identified. It might be a deadly heat problem, might not. Point is, RROD is the error for everything else but the other lighting arrangements. Can't say that time was heating completely.

Anyway, that's still VERY little space.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 05:47:38 AM by MegaScientifical »

There's actually about an inch or two of space, and there's nowhere else this thing can really go. There's plenty of airflow in the back of the system anyway, and the thing has never overheated before. It's because of Microsoft's loving terrible heatsink design.

Plus, it used to be my friends before I got it, he took really good care of the thing, it was kept in a very open space, and it still RRoD'd on him.

Having the back open isn't really since the larger vents are on the sides and bottom. It's really best paced sideways, since the main vent is on the bottom.

Having the back open isn't really since the larger vents are on the sides and bottom. It's really best paced sideways, since the main vent is on the bottom.
That's how my friend had it, and this still happened. Regardless, it lasted almost 4 years, but still. My N64 is 11-12 years old and still works, just comes to show that game systems are becoming less reliable.

Theres a way to fix it. Ive tried ot and it worked. Ill see if I can get the quote up

So many people have this problem and don't bother to search for the answer... IT'S ALL OVER THE INTERWEBS PEOPLE!!!

You have 3 options:
1. If you have a warranty, send it in and get it repaired/replaced.
2. Buy a new Xbox 360
3. Fix it yourself.

If you pick the third option, then there are some steps you need to follow. But first, NEVER USE THE TOWEL/PENNY/ETC TRICK! EVER! That is the number 1 cause of irreparable Xboxs.

Ok then, now you need to check the error code of your Xbox. Because you have 3 rings, you have a general hardware error. To find out the specific problem, you have to find the code. To find the code, the ring should light up with 1-4 segments. If it's 4 lights, it's a 0. 1 means 1. 2=2. 3=3. Hold down the "Sync" button and press the eject button. Write down the first number. Still holding the sync button, press the eject button again. write down the second number. Find out the 3rd and 4th numbers the same way. After you have your 4 digit code, find it on this list and see what your problem is.

As an example, my Xbox got an error code 0102. To fix this, you have to do the x-clamp fix. I followed it carefully and to the letter, and now my xbox is up and running for just about $10.

EDIT: For the other people.

1 segment (Bottom right) is repairable in most cases.
2 segments means that it overheated. Turn it off, wait an hour or so, it'll work like new.
3 segments, like I said, is a general hardware failure and can mean quite a few things
4 segments means that your AV cable is unplugged. Plug it in.

Pm me for any other help, because I followed this tutorial an got it
to work.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 08:04:13 AM by Niven »

I did the overheating trick, now my 360 has been working for almost 3 or 4 weeks.
We kept on the getting RRod before that.

Try A PS3... Unless you are extremely into Halo.

I've never gotten the RRoD on my 360 except from a faulty disk. I've had mine for two years. My cousin had brought his 360 over so my brother and him could play MNC, and when I plugged it in a day later it got the 3 rings, but it was fine after unplugging it completely, and plugging everything back in ~5 minute later.

"Problem with your console? How about I say something completely irrelevant and then try to joke around with it"

Edit: Although you should get the slim, just don't get the Kinect package, you only get a 4gb hard drive.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 09:56:02 AM by DaSord213 »

My 60GB PS3 got the yellow light of death. :(

Oh yes, cuz I'm going to re-buy every game I got for my 360 and then buy a PS3 on top of that.
Hell no.

If you pick the third option, then there are some steps you need to follow. But first, NEVER USE THE TOWEL/PENNY/ETC TRICK! EVER! That is the number 1 cause of irreparable Xboxs.

Ok then, now you need to check the error code of your Xbox. Because you have 3 rings, you have a general hardware error. To find out the specific problem, you have to find the code. To find the code, the ring should light up with 1-4 segments. If it's 4 lights, it's a 0. 1 means 1. 2=2. 3=3. Hold down the "Sync" button and press the eject button. Write down the first number. Still holding the sync button, press the eject button again. write down the second number. Find out the 3rd and 4th numbers the same way. After you have your 4 digit code, find it on this list and see what your problem is.

As an example, my Xbox got an error code 0102. To fix this, you have to do the x-clamp fix. I followed it carefully and to the letter, and now my xbox is up and running for just about $10.

Guess what fix I did?
Yes, the X-Clamp fix. It didn't work.
My 360 originally, 5 months ago, had the 0102 error code.
It has it again, it's even worst than it was 5 months ago.

Also, you have to be really idiotic to try the towel trick.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 04:27:38 AM by Miga »

Alright, update.
I took it apart, tightened all the screws, made sure everything was in order, put it back together partially, turned it on and it still had the RRoD, error code 0102.

So, as of 4:30 AM, I declare my 360 as "dead". I'm going to be selling it and putting most (if not all) of the money towards buying a new XBox 360 S (the "slim" one).

Ah well.