Earthquake in New Hampshire?

Author Topic: Earthquake in New Hampshire?  (Read 7169 times)

Well I don't feel sorry for you because running through the hall in an earthquake is pretty stupid.

We were going to get under the table. Either that or sit in our beds, hoping we don't get crushed. Prick.

I just went through a 7.1 mag earthquake at 10km deep occuring at 4:30AM in the morning. I woke up to what felt like the house was going to fall down. The power went out, furniture flew around everywhere, and as you ran through the hall you were thrown about. In fact, the ground looked as if it was rippling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgT7Q6GZ1zk

I told you not to eat those burritos.

We were going to get under the table.

That's just as unintelligent as sitting on your beds, hoping not to get crushed. You stand in a doorway during an earthquake and brace yourself on the sides of it. Also, which country are you in?

That's just as unintelligent as sitting on your beds, hoping not to get crushed. You stand in a doorway during an earthquake and brace yourself on the sides of it. Also, which country are you in?
i think hes in NZ

Actually, that's a much worse alternative. Not all doorways can be used for that method-- many tend to crack and collapse. When your a family of 5 with a 3 year old and a 6 year old your best bet us to get under a solid oak table. Don't pretend you have any idea what it's like, you think you'll know what to do but when it happens you won't know what's hit you.
For reference, people now recommend you get into a place where rubble can fall and cause a crawl space for you to get out.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 02:54:31 AM by Sheath »

I slept through a 6.5 magnitude earthquake once. It happened up in northern Florida though, so we just felt a little rumble.

Gaaah I hate Quebec. I remember feeling some tremors from an earthquake in Quebec.

Tom

Actually, that's a much worse alternative. Not all doorways can be used for that method-- many tend to crack and collapse. When your a family of 5 with a 3 year old and a 6 year old your best bet us to get under a solid oak table. Don't pretend you have any idea what it's like, you think you'll know what to do but when it happens you won't know what's hit you.
For reference, people now recommend you get into a place where rubble can fall and cause a crawl space for you to get out.
If your in an area that has 7 mag earthquakes, you should probably already have a good plan and know which doors can be braced on. According to FEMA, you're doing some pretty stupid things:
    * DROP to the ground; take COVER by getting under a sturdy table or other piece of furniture; and HOLD ON  until the shaking stops. If there isn’t a table or desk near you, cover your face and head with your arms and crouch in an inside corner of the building.
    * Stay away from glass, windows, outside doors and walls, and anything that could fall, such as lighting fixtures or furniture.
    * Stay in bed if you are there when the earthquake strikes. Hold on and protect your head with a pillow, unless you are under a heavy light fixture that could fall. In that case, move to the nearest safe place.
    * Use a doorway for shelter only if it is in close proximity to you and if you know it is a strongly supported, loadbearing doorway.
    * Stay inside until the shaking stops and it is safe to go outside. Research has shown that most injuries occur when people inside buildings attempt to move to a different location inside the building or try to leave.
    * Be aware that the electricity may go out or the sprinkler systems or fire alarms may turn on.
    * DO NOT use the elevators.

Last Thursday I felt a rumbling while sitting in my French class. My teacher moved us outside and it was still shaking. o.o

Hugums had gas.

Terrible, terrible gas.

Hugums had gas.

Terrible, terrible gas.
You people are really trying to fish for these jokes, aren't you?

Someone hang swords above their bed and go live in a frequent-earthquake area.

Yeah, the earthquake was at like 11:30 pm.  It was in Boscawen, I guess.  This seems like a bad sign though, considering NH is on ancient fault lines...

Someone hang swords above their bed and go live in a frequent-earthquake area.

They should also live on a cliff in a glass house.