Author Topic: Yay framerate  (Read 9412 times)

i dont get bad framerates when i fill a giant map on simcity 4 :p

but i do lose control and have it all burn up.
:D

I bet that would be great on a tri-core 8800GTX.

Going slightly off topic here.

With this custom block filetypes and whatnot will people be able to add their own in over time?

I thought I read somewhere that you open up a text doc and type in the dimensions or something and save it as the model file.  I can't remember where I heard that but it's somewhere on here.

MS3D ASCII text Document.
Not very useful.

Going slightly off topic here.

With this custom block filetypes and whatnot will people be able to add their own in over time?

I thought I read somewhere that you open up a text doc and type in the dimensions or something and save it as the model file.  I can't remember where I heard that but it's somewhere on here.

Its a .blb (Blockland Brick) file. All you need to do to create a primitive is type

BRICK
4 5 6

in a text file, save it as a .blb file, and import it into the game. You now have a 4x5x6 brick. More complicated bricks are more complicated to make. I'm not sure how you do them, I don't understand everything in the file. Needless to say, it will probably take people a while to learn how to make them, unless someone writes a block maker utility.

This whole thing sounds awesome. The framerate issue has been one of my queries about this game in retail, now that it's that high I'm fine with it. I think shadows need to be added and like SpaceOmega said given a switch between on and off.

The .blb file idea is great! Very simple, so for that if you're hosting a server and you have like a 12 4 5 (for instance) will the clients need to spend much time downloading the blb file?

Badspot said he's going to make a brick editor so people can make their own. He also said it shouldn't be a problem when people join a server that has custom bricks or colors. I haven't talked to him about this in a while though, so I don't know if all my info is still up-to-date.

heh...word on the street is that your own creations can be modeled too.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 02:06:38 PM by Ronin »

FUCK, this is the best fps I've seen.

lol @ hole between feet and torso.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 02:48:41 PM by Jookia »

Speaking of blb files, how has the savefile been modified?

I wish I had taken up coding, I still might.... That original and current persistance method is just unoptimized unoptimozed argh I hate opening them and looking at all 20 "thisvalue=0" for 95% of bricks :-D

I feel sorry for Kaphix, He had to edit a whole Persistance file that contained more than 1000 bricks just to get it to work on RTB 1.05

Its a .blb (Blockland Brick) file. All you need to do to create a primitive is type

BRICK
4 5 6

in a text file, save it as a .blb file, and import it into the game. You now have a 4x5x6 brick. More complicated bricks are more complicated to make. I'm not sure how you do them, I don't understand everything in the file. Needless to say, it will probably take people a while to learn how to make them, unless someone writes a block maker utility.

Holy crap, that sounds awesome! I'm getting really anxious as of late, can't wait for the release.

Looking at about 65K bricks I get around 85 FPS. (by bricks I mean a huge glob of 2x2x3s)

Sounds good. Maybe I can live my dream of building a city.

Yay, now we can do stuff that relates to this!