Blockland actual server

Author Topic: Blockland actual server  (Read 15418 times)

Would you allow the community to somehow run one, or would it just be your own server?

As I said earlier I would be willing to host for other people. If someone wanted me to host a server for them I would need a few things: 1. List or .rar file of desired addons for the server. 2. config files for server pref's and other server items. 3. Their Blockland ID # and ID#'s of any other admins they want for the server. I would host the dedicated servers using my own blockland key.
Crap that sounds like I would let anyone ask for hosting rights...
I think I would want to get a list of potential "______'s dm/freebuild/zombie server" and then run them through poll to see what would be most popular, as decided by the community.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 10:23:16 PM by Starcraftman »

That sounds more reasonable, but that might not be what Heed wanted.

I am open to suggestions as how to decide who wants their servers hosted/how this will be made fair to the "hosts" or if this option is even reasonable.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 10:39:25 PM by Starcraftman »

Server:

Home:

Server has about 8 times faster upload, but just only about 60-65% of the download speed
This of course was with the Blockland server running, some other programs, and firefox running.

I was in kalphiter's dogfight when it was first up and asked what ISP he has, since it had no lag at all with about 40 players. He then told me it's an actual server given to him by ATF clan. I asked a few ATF members about the clan and the server and such. They gavce me links and such on how to get it working and the comparisons to other servers.

The problem is that the server can cost $60-110 per month. What would have to be done would be share the server cost with other members and let them pick a price to pay (Greater than $5 probably) per month. So a good 5-10 people paying different prices would be needed.

Problems are that it is a thing that relies on trust with other members. People can easily get your private add-ons if you put them onto the server, and could also infect the server as well. This is why if this were to be done, it should only be done with trustworthy, contributive members like Chrono and Jaydee, who don't dolt around all day in off topic posting stupid videos, memes, and references all day. This is mainly why I posted it in general discussion, because any members here that actually still care about the community check general discussion.

I also wonder if blockland can be one of those communities which work together and spend more than $20 dollars on things or if it is a bunch of kids arguing over and posting stupid stuff in every single board and topic all day who claim they are "broke" when it's really just that mommy and daddy won't buy their games for them, I'm thinking it's mainly the latter with a few people fitting the first statement.

Anyways...

This is the model of the server I was thinking about purchasing.
http://www.hetzner.de/en/hosting/produkte_rootserver/eq4/

for 49 € per month. That completely blows away most server offers in America, which cost the same price, but give you about 100 GB and 1-2 GB ram, maybe even less sometimes.

The server could easily hold up to 100 players. It would also be useful for hosting 24/7 clan dedicateds that can hold many bricks. Now another problem is that most people are not completely dedicated to blockland, which is ok. The server could be used for other games if you install them, such as ARMA 2, BF2, Minecraft (assuming dedicated hosting works like that on minecraft), Garry's mod, and others.

If you pick to install windows web edition (+$15 a month) or windows standard (+$25 a month), it would come set up for you. You could also use this rescue system thing which allows you to install your own OS onto the server, but I don't know much about that. If you're really good with stuff like that, read this.

I am not saying I am going to purchase this, I am not saying I will even contribute to this if someone did purchase it (though I probably would), I am wondering if people would actually contribute to this if it was set up legit and not some "give me money I will buy this for you" deal.

Thats what I use  the [BF] Servers are very fast  because i use the Dedicated Server Hosting InMotion Hosting

Just to be certain, this isn't the server hosting service I've asked about in the past?
It could be!

Yes, that's exactly what it is. There seems to be lots of new interest in it and I've had some new ideas to take it a couple of steps further both in terms of accessibility for those who have no idea how to manage dedicated servers, and also in terms of how easy it is to go from wanting to have a server to actually playing in one.

:)

:)
I would buy it, if it could hold tons of people, but there is little info about it right now.

I'd encourage you to continue with this anyway. I won't be able to work on whatever I'm going to do for a while yet and I'd be interested to see how things play out for someone else.

Also, does the ATF clan have a topic in the blockland forums?
Also, I stated a while ago that I'd be happy to help people host servers with my server.

I could pay around 10-20$ per month. Maybe a little bit more.