Poll

How helpful and instructive do you find my tutorial?

Extremely!
145 (78%)
Fairly
29 (15.6%)
Not Very
6 (3.2%)
Not At All
6 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 185

Author Topic: Ostinyo's Mapping Tutorial  (Read 87044 times)

I already made a map folder and his name is: Map_Highsand

But when i search it in the directory the folder Map_Highsand isn't there!!!!! :c

Thanks in advance and nice tutorial!  :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: /5 for the tutorial!

:3

The only other thing that I can think of, is that if you made the folder after you started up Blockland and were in Mission Editor, it will not appear. You must start up Blockland and go onto Mission Editor after creating the folder, or it will not appear in the directory.

If that is not the case, then there is no explanation for your problem, unless you just are skimming by it in the sea of map folders.

Some suggestions:

on the map folder -- make the instructions read something like this:
1) quit blockland if its running
2) goto your add-ons folder and make a folder named map_yourmapnamehere
3) start blockland

In the terrain editor "set height" can be very useful - but it can also screw up your map really fast -- so be careful.  There is an 'ptions menu with a box for "Set Height" that controls how high or low your terrain will be set to.  play with the value and see what you get.

Lastly, include lots of "what do I do when it doesnt work" parts.
example 
Q: "I have no F10 key!"
A: "Are you on a mac?  try Command+M"

Q: "F10/Command+M doesnt work!"
A: "Add-on downloaded? 
   Add-on saved to blockland\Add-Ons 
   Add-on activated?"

and so on....

Good suggestions, and I may add a Q&A page... but for now I'm working on finishing the main body. However I welcome suggestions, all will be included eventually.

I have a lot on my plate right now, with building, making maps, learning to script, and so on. I'll get around to it sometime though, I want this tutorial to explain everything.

F11 btw - and I did say this tutorial is made for Windows users, and that some things may be different if you are on a Mac. I might as well just add a "Mac Differences" page :)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 07:00:38 PM by Wesley Williams »

My new map folder didn't appear in the save location list either. It's labeled Map_NewMap001 and I'm RETTY sure that I made it while Blockland wasn't open, but it doesn't matter because I restarted Blockland. And it never appeared in the list.

It should have appeared if you restarted Blockland. If not, who knows. Try putting a namecheck in it or something and see if that helps.

I'm stuck on the first step...D;   

Problem : I open Add-ons and put in a new file called Map_Blockland. When i reach Save as in the Editor, it doesn't show up in the directory?

For some reason spheres have never worked for me... I don't know why. Try using a cube and see if that works fine.

That's because you have to make your map a folder first, as you will read in my tutorial.

Already did that but it still doesn't show up in directory.

NOTE: I'm a different person to the one you quoted.

Already did that but it still doesn't show up in directory.

NOTE: I'm a different person to the one you quoted.

I have not yet explained how to export interiors, but you must export it as a Legacy DIF directly into your Map's folder. Then start up Blockland, go into Mission Editor, and go to Mission Creator, interiors, and find your map folder. It will have the interior inside it, and click it to add it to the mission.

*Note that your interior's name should differ than your map's name, as it contains a description document named as the interior, which will become confused with your map's description document.

Thank you for making this it helped me very much you should make more tutorials you would be very good based off of this tutorial.

Thank you for making this it helped me very much you should make more tutorials you would be very good based off of this tutorial.

I am thinking of possibly making a short scripting tutorial like his one once I learn it all (which will be a while).

Could you add something in there about making water? NVM Figured out what I needed.

Another problem though. I added water. But when I restarted my map. There was no water in it.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 03:53:40 PM by Butler »

Did you save the map after you added water?

Yes. But after a few times of this happening. It started saving my water. Dunno what happened.