Poll

How helpful and instructive do you find my tutorial?

Extremely!
145 (78%)
Fairly
29 (15.6%)
Not Very
6 (3.2%)
Not At All
6 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 185

Author Topic: Ostinyo's Mapping Tutorial  (Read 87205 times)

Ambient lighting? Don't really know myself, haven't messed around with maps at all for a while. Have you gotten any light entities to work for you?
Yeah, but Ephi pointed out that ambient lighting makes a bedroom-sized interior look less crappy, and I really need to know how to add it as I've got some big maps on my mind.

Is it not lit with an entity?

Is it not lit with an entity?
I'm sure it is, I just don't know how to give it an ambient look, like how Bedroom is lit up with an ambient light that makes it look like the lamp is really supplying the light.

Yeah, I need this too. Right now my counter in the basement looks like a block because you can't see the details.

I PM'd Ephi asking him for a brief description of how to add them yesterday, he never replied. :/

Try Badspot? He is the one that made Bedroom, after all.

Ask Squideey?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 09:09:08 PM by Wesley Williams »

PM'd both of them, I don't expect Badspot to respond though.

I got a response from Ghost, actually. I still don't really understand the whole idea though :|

Post the entire thing.

Ghost said this:
Yes I use light entities; they are basically the same for both QuArK and Torque Constructor. I haven't used them in a while, but make sure the lights are large enough to fill the area you wish to light, and make sure the falloff is not too high so that the light doesn't show up at all. For example, I might make a light 1000 and set the falloff to 800. Hope that helps! If not, let me know.

Yet I still don't understand how to create an entity. I tried modifying the property of an object to be "light" or whatever, but that just made the object disappear. How do you even set the falloff? Haha I'm so clueless ;P

Yes, I have never gotten them to be there or do anything at all...maybe we should try copy-pasting from one of the examples and edit from there?

There's an example interior that has lighting?

Yet I still don't understand how to create an entity. I tried modifying the property of an object to be "light" or whatever, but that just made the object disappear. How do you even set the falloff? Haha I'm so clueless ;P
Have you tried this?

Have you tried this?
Well, duh. We just can't get them working properly.

EDIT: A breakthrough with copy-paste

The light is small and the wrong color, but it works. I copy-pasted from pipes.csx from scenes.

It's an omni light.

CONFIRMED: OMNI LIGHT IS THE ANSWER. I was able to create one on my own with out taking one from another.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 06:38:34 PM by Nasoa »