Poll

How helpful and instructive do you find my tutorial?

Extremely!
145 (78%)
Fairly
29 (15.6%)
Not Very
6 (3.2%)
Not At All
6 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 185

Author Topic: Ostinyo's Mapping Tutorial  (Read 87188 times)

Due to lack of space in the OP (exceeds 2000 characters), I have to continue skybox discussion here.

Now that you have downloaded your skybox, make sure that they're sized 256x256 or 512x512 pixels and a JPEG image. Let's take a look at the contents of a skybox I downloaded.

My images are coded by front, back, etc. Other skyboxes you download may be coded with numbers, which can be disastrous if the order is wrong.

Code: [Select]
front
right
back
left
bottom
reflection
cloudlayer1
cloudlayer2
cloudlayer3

The above code is the order of the image files you must apply to your maps. Give each image a number coinciding with the above order.

This is what I got after applying numbers to my images. I obtained two more images from the default Slate skybox.
NOTE: A skybox must contain at least 7 JPEG images to function properly!

Now that you have all of your images numbered, you must finally make a resource.dml. To do this, create a new text document and put in the following:

Code: [Select]

(If you have more than 7 textures, continue numbering.) Extremely simple. Now go to File>Save As... and save it as "resource.dml". Make sure that you are not saving it as a text document file type, but as "All Files".

Now go into your map, and change the skybox! If it does not work at first, go back and check your resource.dml, size, and file type of your images.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 02:25:56 PM by Wesley Williams »

I've used CSG Subtract a lot to make doors and windows, and it has resulted in semi-broken interiors. Is there an easier way to create an opening in a wall to create said doors/windows?

All CSG Subtract is is the lazy man's way of doing things. I use the more reliable method of slicing. CSG Subtract takes the object you are subtracting and attempts to slice the interior around it and modify the faces - just it is a flawed function and sometimes creates micro brushes, breaking the interior.

Slicing sounds easy enough, I'll use it instead of Subtract from now on. :D

Slicing sounds easy enough, I'll use it instead of Subtract from now on. :D

Yes, Medieval Kingdom was made purely by slicing.

How come when I go to save a map, the name does not appear in the directory?

How come when I go to save a map, the name does not appear in the directory?

If the name of your map's folder does not appear in the directory, make sure it is named Map_whatever. If it doesn't show up anyways I don't know what's up.

How do i open a project in Torque Constructor in the mission editor because i need a .mis file.

How do I open mission editor on mac?  f11 is a shortcut to something.  Do I need to make it something else in hotkeys?

CMD+M
Thanks.  
Edit: This topic is extremely helpful.  I will soon release a map thanks to this. 
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 11:26:59 AM by blockhead55 »

This topic is extremely helpful.  I will soon release a map thanks to this. 

Glad to see I have helped get new map makers started :)

Also don't just skip over the FAQ just because you think it's useless.. It answers your Mac question there.

What do all the different brush types do? I know structural makes the brush have collision and portal makes anything on the other side unviewable, but what about detail, trigger, and collision? I think one of them makes a brush collisionless, probably detail.

What do all the different brush types do? I know structural makes the brush have collision and portal makes anything on the other side unviewable, but what about detail, trigger, and collision? I think one of them makes a brush collisionless, probably detail.
I would assume that collision would make it collisionless, but who am I?

I think one of them makes a brush collisionless, probably detail.

I thought that detail was just for smaller objects, detail pieces. And then structural are for the larger ones, for the structure of the interior.

How do you make a mirror? I've always wondered this.