Author Topic: Drawings Megathread  (Read 3482004 times)

quick question for people who do more than doodling character designs
why do young teens use things like "its my style" as a deflection for almost all criticism

why do young teens use things like "its my style" as a deflection for almost all criticism
Because theyre teens

Hey guys how do you like my new drawing. Don't mind the absence of a snake.

could be because of how the criticism is presented, but regardless it doesn't have anything to do with age and probs has more to do with their experience and creative mindset. i think it's a common problem for less-experienced artists to think a lot more than necessary about style, and it ends up hurting them in the long run cus they're intentionally forcing themselves to stylize a reality they don't understand on a fundamental level yet. i did this in the past, and i'm suffering the consequences now, cus i never developed a baseline understanding of anatomy, value, and form. so when they say "it's my style" they aren't necessarily deflecting criticism, they probably are legitimately seeing those things as a feature and not a problem, because they're wrapped up in the aesthetic of the end result without understanding how to most effectively get there.

that's my theory at least, but it's derived from my own experiences and creative mindset so who knows who well it applies to others
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 06:57:47 PM by otto-san »

could be because of how the criticism is presented, but regardless it doesn't have anything to do with age and probs has more to do with their experience and creative mindset. i think it's a common problem for less-experienced artists to think a lot more than necessary about style, and it ends up hurting them in the long run cus they're intentionally forcing themselves to stylize a reality they don't understand on a fundamental level yet. i did this in the past, and i'm suffering the consequences now, cus i never developed a baseline understanding of anatomy, value, and form. so when they say "it's my style" they aren't necessarily deflecting criticism, they probably are legitimately seeing those things as a feature and not a problem, because they're wrapped up in the aesthetic of the end result without understanding how to most effectively get there.

that's my theory at least, but it's derived from my own experiences and creative mindset so who knows who well it applies to others
i bookmarked this post otto this was really good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsUs9R3F-R8

that's p much it

i made some eyes bc why not

nice ribbon
Hey guys how do you like my new drawing. Don't mind the absence of a snake.
what is this thing