Author Topic: Import bricks and move them around and others ideas.  (Read 3216 times)

On a server earlier somebody was wondering if they would be able to import their own bricks to the server. While it's possible, if something is already occupying the same space as the bricks, they won't load (this is good). It would be nice if there were a way to move the bricks as one unit before they are plopped down in the world so people can work on things in single player, and then easily bring them into a multiplayer server.

Another suggestion would be to have an export function that creates building plans from the pieces placed down. Sometimes I'd love to see a creation in real life made with household items like little blocks of wood.

Automatic saving on a server would be great. It is a horrible feeling making a huge building only to have the server crash and then have it come back up and the admin made the last save before anything was built.

My last suggestion, and least likely, is the ability to exist in an Active Worlds type environment. Active Worlds is like Second Life, but focused on building like Blockland. However, everybody can build in one giant green world, or they can build in their own little servers.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 03:51:39 PM by Yaos »

the wood things for houses would be cool also brick patters.

ghosting entire builds/saves >.>
not a bad idea actually

An addition to importing bricks and moving them around are rules the server admin can make.

A checkbox that allows or disallows importing bricks.
A Whitelist/blacklist that allows/prevents certain people from importing bricks.
The ability to select how many times a person can import saved bricks so they can't import their 100,000 brick creation 500 times on one server, or 500 different 100,000 brick creations.

The Active Worlds is a horrible idea. Imagine, a server with 10 builders would lag when they built a fair amount. Image that, but with 490 more builders.

Import bricks is just like my idea.

The Active Worlds is a horrible idea. Imagine, a server with 10 builders would lag when they built a fair amount. Image that, but with 490 more builders.

I agree, the torque engine isn't as good as the others, it would lag like hell and possibly crash if you have 400 people building on one giant map. (the map alone would probably lag the hell out of you)

i thought maps repeated on endlesly?

i thought maps repeated on endlesly?
They do. Well, at least the terrain does.

Also, if the areas are restricted in size and there is enough distance between them, the idea of having a server with places to build in just might work.

fishpen0

I like the ability to decide WHERE to place the bricks you load.