Author Topic: Buying a new gaming computer.  (Read 1405 times)

Build you own,I made my super gaming pc for $600

specs

4GB ram
nvidia 9800gt graphics card
AMD quad core processor
750 GB hard-drive

specs

4GB ram
AMD quad core processor
750 GB hard-drive

Not exactly super, but it gets the job done.

Building one is cheaper, and you can usually get one for better that way.

well i'm on the computer alot, but i don't really know what goes on inside, i can name a few parts,but that's just the basic stuff.
True, but he doesn't know much about computers so it would be easier for him to buy one.

Please, if you're going to post in a topic, read about the topic first. It has been established that a computer will not be being built. This is getting annoying, too many people do this...

specs

4GB ram
AMD quad core processor
750 GB hard-drive

A computer doesn't just run on damn RAM, A graphics card, a processor, and a Hard Drive...

If you're going to post specs, post EVERYTHING or don't bother doing it :P

also

Not exactly super

A computer doesn't just run on damn RAM, A graphics card, a processor, and a Hard Drive...

If you're going to post specs, post EVERYTHING or don't bother doing it :P

also

Actually it kind of does lol, unless you want him to post the power supply and motherboard.

I have this smexy beast. i love it, even though i hate Dell.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-8300/pd

12gbs of RAM is useless. You should aim around for around 6 to 8.

Getting two 5770's is also handicapped. You could get a card for $300 that is better than those in CF.

Avadirect just added sandy-bridge to their configurator. I would suggest going with the i5 over the i7 because there is no gain in gaming.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 03:35:33 PM by Righteous One »

i7 Procceser 6-8G of Ram 8gb GTX 460 500wat +PSU BlueRayDrive 700GB HardDrive

That configuration makes no sense. Please don't post if you are new to the subject.

500watt power supply is so little to run a GTX460 and i7.
gaming comps need like 800-1200watt

This should get the job done for you. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6899114&CatId=114

- Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
- There are two 1GB Radeon 5770 video cards included.
- 1 TB Hard-Drive
- Intel Core i7-950 (3.06 GHz)
- 12 GB DDR3 RAM

No, this is not a good setup at all.

Why get two 5770's?  The scaling on cards below the 5850 is terrible, making crossfire close to worthless.  It's always better to go with one great card than two okay cards.

Why get a 950 when you can get a 930 an overclock it?  All of the i7 900-series chips (except for the hexacore 980x) models have the exact same architecture, the only difference is the factory-set clock, which can easily be changed if you know how.  If you're going to splurge on a CPU, get a Gulftown (980x), or get a Sandy Bridge (which I don't recommend).

12GB of RAM for that set up is an absolute waste.  6GB is really the sweetspot for the D0 revision i7's.  8GB won't take advantage of the triple-channel setup the i7 has, and 9GB/12GB is just way too much.

I realize that the OP is looking for a pre-built computer, but there are a lot of problems with this one.

And don't get Alienware.

Hey, you're an idiot, we already knew that.  You don't have to tell us anymore.

I realize that the OP is looking for a pre-built computer, but there are a lot of problems with this one.

not many pre-built computers are good for gaming?
Still, i'm going with the computer soviet posted, unless i find something better.