Author Topic: Upgradable Fort CTF/TDM  (Read 1000 times)

I am working on this idea where two teams or more fight against each other in a classic "Capture The Flag". But instead of each team having a static base, both bases will expand and grow as the team wins rounds!

So how's how it works:
Both teams start with a small camp or some sort of poorly defended base. The flag will be in the middle of the base.
When a team captures the flag of the other team, they will be awarded 5 points. The key to upgrading the base are those points.

Lets say the team wants to upgrade their base by adding some walls, making it harder for the enemy to get inside. They can do so by purchasing the upgrade with points earned by flaggscoring/killing!
Other upgrades may include
- Towers
- Weapon depot
- Garage
- Airstrip/Hangar etc.
and of course improvements to existing structures.

The enemy team can easily destroy the structures by placing fictional bombs (I use capture points for that), so your team can't be on the offense all the time to capture more flags. It will be necessary to have a balanced offense/defense to win!

Unlike some other servers I've seen, this server will not depend on an admin to work. The buildings will be added/removed automatically through events.

My question is: Does this sound like a good idea?
I have already started building a bit, and it strikes me that ALOT of events are required. The eventing itself is not the problem, but i'm worried this may lag the server?

Please share your views on this. Thank you! :)

Also: some pics come in a minute :D
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 05:00:02 PM by King Leo »

This is what the base looks like before the match starts (ok, maybe a bit more stuff inside :P)

Use signs like this to upgrade various parts of the base.

The red team has succesfully upgraded the front wall.

All walls are built and even a small tower has been added!

The walls have been upgraded and are now more resistant to attacks!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 08:21:43 AM by King Leo »

I have a feeling it will be fairly laggy, as the walls are fairly intricate.
Good idea though.

There's no lag jet. The first walls are about 100 bricks each, while the second upgrade is about 300. They dont lag when activated either, as I added a 200 ms delay between each segment.
Do invisible bricks lag more/less/just as much as visible bricks?

Invisible bricks have some slight lag but if you have a brick or the wrench out it will have the usual lag.

Also, maybe reduce the amount of points it requires to upgrade, or increase the amount of points you get for capturing.

I was referring more to the event lag than the brick lag.

Hmm. Events won't be enabled most of the time, though, as they only come in when a segment is constructed/destroyed. Then, the event will make the wall (or anything else) disappear/reappear. That means that about 150 events (bricks) will be executed at once :/ I don't know if that will lag the server.

Looks and sounds awesome. I hope you host it sometime soon.

There was a build like this a while ago based off of Defend Your Castle or something.

I made a zombie one before

Where are weapons gathered?
Can you improve weapons via base upgrade?

Not to asfas
But this reminds me of Roblox, and the zombie Upgrade defences, and those Tycoons where you upgrade machines and make stuff, pretty fun stuff you can say. I remember a friend attempting to make a factory with upgradable machines. That would be cool.

Yes, it is quite a good idea
No Dogfight though, hate those.