Author Topic: Iban Explains it All  (Read 24241 times)

Whoops! Forgot to add that.

Does it make sense up to this point, though?

Sorta. I see the Executions and the Prefs. It's still a bit iffy.

Ok, so if I wanted to make a script to make it so I can just type in a command to discover and then execute add-ons, I would use the commands like in the console correct?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 01:32:45 AM by Killer2 »

Post-server start add-on execution has been done in the past and it does not work. Datablocks, as explained in the Datablocks guide, cannot be created after the server starts.

Incorrect. It's possible to create datablocks after the server starts, although they will not get downloaded to clients unless they rejoin, or the map is changed. If the datablock is spawned before they have downloaded the datablock, they will get a Invalid Packet error and disconnect.

Although it is possible to re-transmit datablocks without re-entering the loading GUI (load add-on, etc), it is not failsafe and sometimes does not work.

It's possible it just crashes everyone as soon as the datablock is used.

Well, I still think that maybe a guide to the script tell what different groups of the script basically do.

It's possible it just crashes everyone as soon as the datablock is used.
unless everyone is forced to run clientCmdStartPhase3();

Did you even read my post?
although they will not get downloaded to clients unless they rejoin, or the map is changed.
Although it is possible to re-transmit datablocks without re-entering the loading GUI (load add-on, etc), it is not failsafe and sometimes does not work.

It doesn't crash if the clients have re-entered the loading screen or have recieved a retransmit datablocks packet, and also, they don't crash, but get a invalid packet.

It can still crash or send invalid packets them if the new datablocks require e.g. a model they don't have for a vehicle.

Basically it's best not to.

Could you add some things that cover GUI Scripts?

GUI scripts.. not client-server communication. Things like setting text, doing button stuff. I think that's what he meant, anyway.

textCtrl's:
.setValue("text");
.getValue()
bitmapCtrl's:
.setBitmap("bitmap");
.bitmap
progressCtrl's
.setValue(0.0-1.0 progress);
.getValue()

blargh

maybe you could make an article about scriptgroups? i've been wondering about those for awhile

Per request of Ephialtes,

forceRequiredAddOn - the first guide specific to a single function. Describes in-depth how to utilize it for one, or multiple, add-on dependencies. If he wants this in BBC-format I'll transcribe it.

maybe you could make an article about scriptgroups? i've been wondering about those for awhile
wat.

Do you mean SimGroups/SimSets?

Eh?

maybe i'm thinking of the wrong thing or TGE doesn't have it.

but yeah.