Author Topic: Running steam on Ubuntu  (Read 784 times)

My computer recently died, and when it was repaired, had its main partition completely blanked.  I got Ubuntu 10.10 for it, and it has worked great.  I use Wine as an emulator so I can still run some of my games, but I am having some annoying issues with running steam.  At first, steam would always close itself whenever it finished logging in.  I later realised this was caused by the update news, and managed to disable it.  Now, I can access my library tab and friends list, but If I go to any other tab, steam closes.  Also, if I try to install a game that requires me to accept an eula, it closes when it tries to load it.  I suspect that steam is having issues getting information from the steam servers, since it closes for anything like that.  I read somewhere that steam needs something called gecko to run properly, but that should have been done when I configured wine for the first time.

I am really stumped here.  What does steam need to run things like the store tab, community tab, update news, and related things?

The simple truth is running any game on an emulator is never as good as just going entirely native.
Generally, if you have a bug with an application being emulated with Wine, you'll have to report it back to Wine HQ and see if they can fix it. Otherwise its just too bad.

I do not think wine is the issue here.  Steam needs some sort of program to get the information it needs through the internet that I do not have, thus causing it to close.

I do not think wine is the issue here.  Steam needs some sort of program to get the information it needs through the internet that I do not have, thus causing it to close.

Could be some sort of content dependancy. Either way, in Ubuntu its not gonna work. Ever tried Play On Linux?

Could be some sort of content dependancy. Either way, in Ubuntu its not gonna work. Ever tried Play On Linux?

All the games work fine, it's just steam that is unreliable.  I saw PlayOnLinux, but it looked kinda dumb to me, possibly even a scam.  Anyway, it is apparently based on wine, and has no features that wine does not.

bump.  I would really like some advice here, since there seems to be only one feature that doesn't work, and I'm sure someone knows how to fix this.

Steam is perfectly reliable, its just its not designed to be emulated on an unsupported operating system.

The simple truth is running any game on an emulator is never as good as just going entirely native.
Generally, if you have a bug with an application being emulated with Wine, you'll have to report it back to Wine HQ and see if they can fix it. Otherwise its just too bad.

WINE IS NOT AN EMULATOR

WINE IS NOT AN EMULATOR

O SOZ COMPATIBILITY LAYOR

Still its nothing like the real deal.

I do not think wine is the issue here.

Unless wine blocks the programs from getting that data, it is not the issue.

Unless wine blocks the programs from getting that data, it is not the issue.

Its not Wine. Its not Steam. Its the fact you are running a program on an unsupported operating system. Honestly, its not hard to grasp. Don't be so surprised its loving up. This is why you should just stick to Windows if you want to primarily use Windows software. Gaming with WINE is a stuff idea anyhow.