Author Topic: Should I get CivilizationV?  (Read 1853 times)

Simply put, I enjoy strategy games, I enjoyed Civ4 when I got it, played it recently as-well, but after seeing some of the improvements that Civ5 has, I was wondering if the $50 is worth it?

I have over $100 from Christmas still, and I am getting a little impatient with Steam and it's random sales, so if you could just review your experience or opinions, that'd help.

Plus, discuss other good strategy games.

No.
It gets boring so fast.

No.
It gets boring so fast.
Ok, but once again, I found the re-play value to be great on Civ4, because my imagination constantly comes up with real-world scenarios during gameplay.

Thanks though.

I miss some of the civ 4 mods, but civ 5 is pretty good. Lots of game play changes, and such. I have it to, maybe we can play online when you get it?

Empires mod
DEFCON

Meh, I might want to get Civilization V also cause loving windows 7 goes ape-stuff when I try to input my custom name into a text-box in Civilization II, and there isn't any effective patches.

I liked Civilization 5 for many reasons.  I dislike how some features that I liked, such as religion, removed or muffed down. 

My Dad is addicted to that game, He uses my computer more then me now :<

Ok, that's interesting. Thinking about at least waiting till the official start of spring break, Steam usually have a sale then?

Yeah they usually have a major season sale, or you can wait for a Midweek Madness.

Yeah, I'd probably guess that a sale would make the game more worth it.

I play it all the time. It's fun if you're bored but whenever I start, I can't stop :p

forget, now I don't know if I wanna get Civ5 or Amnesia: Dark Descent for my birthday.

forget, now I don't know if I wanna get Civ5 or Amnesia: Dark Descent for my birthday.
Amnesia is short and sweet and Civ5 has replay value
Yeah, I'd probably guess that a sale would make the game more worth it.
Civ5 goes on sale a lot.

Amnesia is short and sweet and Civ5 has replay valueCiv5 goes on sale a lot.

I loving loved Civilization 2, so I would really love Civ5 most likely. Also, the demo for Amnesia seemed very interesting when I played it, but I didn't get to run from zombies in it.

Did you try the Civ 5 demo yet?

They've patched it so it's a bit better since it came out, although they nerfed a bunch of the buildings that made resources. It's got a good update frequency though, and they're still working on balancing it. The modding community is still pretty new, so it doesn't have any of the crazy game changing mods that Civ 4 had. There's been a lot of improvements on the map side, the strategic map is really useful now with different layers and filters (as opposed to Civ 4's nearly useless culture and religion maps). It's still not as refined as Civ 4 though (which still suffers from it's own AI bugs).

Alpha Centauri was still my favorite out of the series but I can't get it to run in a VM or on Windows 7 :(