Author Topic: Sprites and creating them.  (Read 1000 times)

So i have my gaming class, and we have to create games and such.
sometimes our teacher'll give us the choice (ALWAYS GIVES US THIS CHOICE) to create our own sprites for the games, to make them your own. (If not you just use the ones in a folder) i want to get better at making these sprites look decent, because i don't grasp how to shade it better, and want to know how to make things seem like something that'd actually be in a video game.

tl;dr, need to get better at making sprites, Tips and how2dos?

Tip: To shade, Just add a slightly darker color around the edges/the bottom/the top.

Tip: To shade, Just add a slightly darker color around the edges/the bottom/the top.

I always make it lighten from the top but learned that that doesn't work

thanks btw, i'll have to try that.

coughsonicrecolorcough
:cookieMonster:

You could try adding the base colors you want on a sprite, then adding lighting to it using Gimp or something similar.

coughsonicrecolorcough
If you do that again i'm going to virtual-slap you.

You could try adding the base colors you want on a sprite, then adding lighting to it using Gimp or something similar.
The teacher doesn't allow gimp. she allows MS paint and gamemaker sprite maker thing.

(She doesn't want us to download stuff)
But she does have Photoshop :D
coughsonicrecolorcough
Oh dear. aw hell no, those are stupid, and a couple of my friends pretend they're hedgehogs.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 06:34:55 PM by KadeBL_ID12958 »

If you do that again i'm going to virtual-slap you.
sonic recolor
but seriously, what I'd do is look how other games make their sprites and try to use their technique without totally copying them.

Oh dear. aw hell no, those are stupid, and a couple of my friends pretend they're hedgehogs.
did you ever think of finding some new friends?
i'm sorry, that was horrible :c good luck with sprite-ing.

sonic recolor
but seriously, what I'd do is look how other games make their sprites and try to use their technique without totally copying them.
Step 1 in making a sprite is learning how to re-color.
Step 2 is working pixel by pixel.
Step 3 is to have tons of patience.

Although mine is a mere re-color Im sure you can do better than me.

Smexy <3

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

FUUU

did you ever think of finding some new friends?
i'm sorry, that was horrible :c good luck with sprite-ing.
Thanks, and they've matured a bit