Author Topic: Apparently the max brickcount is 256000 for a reason.  (Read 2918 times)

I thought I'd up the max brickcount to 1 million. It was all going good till I got past the limit, 256000. The moment it got past 256000 all bricks I placed were invisible and my ghost brick disappeared. I timed out and reconnected. When I connected I couldn't see any particles. My ghost brick was invisible and all bricks I placed were invisible.

I thought that the brickcount could be overridden by entering $Pref::Server::BrickLimit = "256000"; into console. It worked for the most part but everything was jacked up past 256000.

All the way up till 256000 I didn't get any FPS lag at all. I wonder what the engine could really handle.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 04:14:10 PM by Jasa 12265 »

The max is 256000 to prevent exactly that from happening.

Unless you're trying to make a full scale model of Earth, there isn't a need for that many bricks

I made it to 280000 bricks.

Well known fact he prevents going any higher so you don't forget up your own game and whine to him.

Tom

It can't actually go any higher because the engine can only send a limited amount of objects to the client. There is that limit because of network limitations. You wouldn't want to wait 20 minutes for a server to ghost, would you?

Here is an extremely old quote from Badspot I found. It was when the brick limit was still 128,000 bricks, but this quote explains why things get messed up when you try to make more bricks.

The ghostIDs are transmitted using 17bits.  2^17 = 131072 ghosted objects at a time.  Due to bugs in the ghosting code, if you have more objects than that, you may have problems like not seeing other people or not being able to respawn.  Even if it works perfectly, you won't be able to save everything at once from the client because not all of the server's objects will be represented on your client.  
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 05:04:33 PM by Tom »

It can't actually go any higher because the engine can only send a limited amount of objects to the client. There is that limit because of network limitations. You wouldn't want to wait 20 minutes for a server to ghost, would you?

Here is an extremely old quote from Badspot I found. It was when the brick limit was still 128,000 bricks, but this quote explains why things get messed up when you try to make more bricks.
It would be so much better if not everything was through the clients.

Unless you're trying to make a full scale model of Earth, there isn't a need for that many bricks

Ha ha. Win.

This needs to be done

i would be pleased with a 512k limit.
someday maybe <3

Um...

Quote from: www.blockland.us
The only limit is your imagination!

Mind forget??

i would be pleased with a 512k limit.
someday maybe <3
Lol, you've been pushing for that since forever

Um...

Mind forget??

the thing is no one will ever reach that limit unless they're building stuff for years and/or making huge amounts of spam. i guess my imagination will never be fed... :(

the thing is no one will ever reach that limit unless they're building stuff for years and/or making huge amounts of spam. i guess my imagination will never be fed... :(
http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=148965.0