Author Topic: Greetings, and please clarify features in demo  (Read 2856 times)

Hello everyone.  My first time here.  Lego block fan for quite some time, but didn't know there was an electronic version floating around!!  I'm anxious to try it out (can't d/l yet, currently at lunch on my work pc), but wasn't clear exactly what I would be seeing in the downloaded version versus the purchased version.  Any care to clarify for me?

Multiplayer lego building sounds like a lot of fun - reminds me of when me and my brother would spend hours together building castles that we would have to "storm" :P  I'm surprised that Lego hadn't thought of this, seems like they could really capitalize!  Especially with the popularity of the Lego Star Wars games.

download version is unlockable demo, you buy the activation key, wich activates online play (demo also has small brick limit)

someone else will prob say more if this isint enough info...

Woah, a new Blockland player who writes in sentence format. That's a keeper!

Badspot

• Administrator
The main difference is that the Demo is limited to 150 bricks and cannot join an internet game.  The lack of multiplayer in the demo is kind of a downer but I haven't worked out a good way to do it yet. 

While the demo can't join an internet game or host a LAN game, if you host a LAN game with the full version, other people can join the game using the demo version and play the full game with you. 

The full version can have up to 128,000 bricks and has free access to multiplayer and the mission editor. 

« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 04:01:06 PM by Badspot »

I'm sorry but i'm going not to suggest RTB, many blockland controls are different and in RTB you can defy the "lego rules" such as stretching bricks, making them float and more.
Blockland does use the principles of lego, so you can't do the things I mentioned above, but you sure can have lots of fun. Take a look in the gallery section and some videos on you tube.
the demo has a VERY small brick limit of 150, which is almost nothing.
You also can't play multiplayer with the demo, nor can you add user made stuff like guns, vehicles, maps and more.

Why was my post deleted...

Why was my post deleted...

Because your advertising something completely different.

Fantastic! Thank you much everyone who answered (the fact that I already have so many responses says a lot about the community!)

Wow, 128,000 blocks? That's amazing.  Most games I've played have issues with rendering tens or hundreds of things in a scene.  Is that just due to the evolution of processor and video card speeds?

Badspot

• Administrator
ban ban ban

Well 128k is the upper limit and will put a modern computer into single digit framerates.  30k to 50k is a more realistic limit. 

The performance comes from taking advantage of certain attributes of bricks, such as the fact that they don't move, are always rotated in 90 degree increments, don't animate, etc.  On large builds like "Detailed City Build" a good 50% of the time is taken up with rendering special bricks that don't follow the rules like transparent or shiny bricks. 

Blockland v0002 (AKA Vanilla Blockland) was the first online version of Blockland to my knowledge. In this version, everything is made to be LEGO-like. The player models, vehicles and bricks resemble those of LEGO. In this version there have been many mods that allow for stretching and rotating of the bricks, and build-through and floating bricks, to pretty much create anything you can possibly imagine. The only problem, though, is that most PCs have trouble holding many bricks on screen at once.

The most recent version was released recently, Blockland Retail or Retail as people like to call it (but shouldn't), and it is BLOKO themed. BLOKO is a knock-off of LEGO, with lower poly and less round, 'boxy' if you will, player models and vehicles, and the tops of the bricks have flat-topped pyramids instead of cylinder pegs like LEGO has. In this version, the bricks aren't .dts shapes anymore, they are created from purely text, and are less laggy aswell. This means less lag when looking at a bunch of bricks. There have also been a lot of modifications to the game itself so it generally runs way more smooth all around. There are also more effects in this version, such as particle emitters and lights and even a jiggly jello-like effect for bricks! One problem is, though, that you cannot mod this as much as you could in version v0002... you can still make vehicles and weapons mods and new maps and other misc stuff, though, take a look at the Add-Ons section to see what I mean.

This version costs $20 via paypal or credit card, and upon purchase you recieve a key through e-mail (there have been some issues with this but Badspot will gladly help you out), and with it you can unlock the free demo version up for download at any time. The demo version is just like the real version, except you can only build with 150 bricks, and you cannot play online.

Hope this helps.

Correction entrepreneur in $20 USD.

Doesn't the $ sign generally mean it's USD?

Nope in Australia we use $ as well.

what entrepreneur ing forgot was that its easyer to put mods then other games because of the add-ons folder, thats where all the mods hang out.

Hello everyone.  My first time here.  Lego block fan for quite some time, but didn't know there was an electronic version floating around!!  I'm anxious to try it out (can't d/l yet, currently at lunch on my work pc), but wasn't clear exactly what I would be seeing in the downloaded version versus the purchased version.  Any care to clarify for me?

Multiplayer lego building sounds like a lot of fun - reminds me of when me and my brother would spend hours together building castles that we would have to "storm" :P  I'm surprised that Lego hadn't thought of this, seems like they could really capitalize!  Especially with the popularity of the Lego Star Wars games.
oh lego is making this kind of game badspot even showed blockland to lego and welcome, btw demo isnt online and you can only use 150 bricks