Author Topic: Space Elevator Superstructure complete!  (Read 11833 times)

Yup, the structure is finally done (woop!!). Block count is somewhere around 49500 bricks, I forget.

Allthough it looks complete, it's pretty bare, so I wouldn't say it's a done deal just yet.

What I'm planning on doing is straightforward, but it's going to require alot more time

1- Create a Visit-type version of it
       This will be the completely furnished build for people interrested in visiting it.

2- Create a DM-Friendly version
       Cut down on emitters, strategically positioned furnishing for cover, etc.  This will be alot less laggy in some cases than the visiting version. This version will also be much better for visitors with comps that simply can't handle the shear amount of emitters and special bricks (undolu/glowing bricks) No bulky stuff or things that could get in the way in a fire fight.

All this might take, oh I don't know, another 3 weeks at best (Exams end for me the 23rd)

Here's the low down on the station, it has 5 sections (an Agri-dome, Research lab, Factory, military hangar and the main core)
There's also a Base facility, this is pretty much where you board the happy fun elevator that leads to the station.
Here's another fun fact: This thing is positively huge

The base facility
side

front

The elevator

The station
Factory

Agri-dome

Research lab

Military hangar

The Core

You might also be wondering why it took so long, well I kept macroing to a minimum, moslty because I never got over that time it took me 3 hours to macro a 200 brick mech.

Key features

- Optional Sheild load
   This is the secret defensive mechanism I was talking about. It's a giant sheild that envelops most of the station (excluding the core tower).  It is effectively and almost completely invisible (visible from far away), and it Loads under invisible paint as well.
Problems: The lag! Oh my god the lag is terrible!
Answers: Build it with 4 single gigantic bricks as walls instead of 1000 2x12x5 bricks, but I'm too lazy to measure and use Brick mods.
...Why?: To keep stunt plane greifers at bay (it works pretty well too, The lag kills them)

-The structure is mostly rocket proof
  Unless you're using a ridiculously powerful weapon (Sniper Rifle against bricks = automatic bricksplosion) you won't have much luck blasting through this thing.

Oh yeah, here's a teaser save http://www.mediafire.com/?ejm4ddzmtjt

Some other stuff
I MIGHT be doing a preopening to let other builders help me with the furnishing. IF I decide to do this, I'll post another thread to advise people of the date/time and how it's going to work.

Some problems
It finally outgrew the Slopes map. Outgrew as in the high altitude spawn point is no longer high enough for all the bricks to spawn correctly.  What this means is that visitors, who will probably not be aware of this, will either
1- Jump off the mountain, leading to the entire build not loading correctly for them
2- stay on the hill, in which case will cause most of the build to load correctly, but the top of the core tower will glitch out
3- Jetpack immediately to the correct altitude, allowing the build to load correctly

I was planning initialy to build a warning box around the spawn point telling visitors to stay in the box until they see a green light appear (still in testing).  Now that the spawn point is no longer high enough, this simply means that I'll need to get a slopes map with a higher spawn point (any help offered with this would be well appreciated)

Another issue is that people will absolutely want to drive vehicles off the station (I really don't blame them, it's pretty fun). What happens is that the vehicles actualy pass through the grid sometimes and this will tend to mess up brick positioning for the client side (or maybe even the server, although I'm not exaclty sure)

Other suggestions/ideas/comments are very welcome.  Also feel free to rate the build so far.

Big post! looks cool, rate?

amazing, 10/10
can youpost the save? plz.

passes big time! i would give you some cookies, but the cookie monster ate them all.  :cookieMonster: there he goes! dang! he got away. :panda:

You already have a topic about this build and you had to make another one for it because its done...?
Oh well still a good big build!

this is third 10/10 i have rated thus far

YAY.....THIS is my ALL time favroit build!!!! good build, now are you going to tell us this is your ussr app, becoue you could join almost ANYTHING with this...lol :cookieMonster: :cookieMonster: :cookie: :cookieMonster: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie:

I love this build, it may not be the prettiest thing to look at, but it looks like you spent a lot of time working on it. Also it make space people go boom.

9.5/10

Sorry it took me a while to reply, I got caught up in a huge amount of studying for a couple of my exams, I'm pretty glad I got to it too. Still 3 more exams to go but they're not all that tough fortunately.

Regarding the up-to-date save file, I've been avoiding posting it before because, well frankly I was afraid someone would steal it and claim it as their own build (not aiming this at anyone particular), but seeing how far it is in development I doubt it really matters anymore.

So here you go, candy for you!
http://www.mediafire.com/?4lindiwtytw

Also, I got an awesome idea for a basic building template/pattern that will make the interiors stand out a bit more once I get into heavy furnishing.

Notice: When you begin loading it, Immediately boost upwards to the tall platform and stay on the platform until all the bricks finish loading. Don't base yourself on the time, it's usualy wrong, just sit tight and wait a couple seconds after you see all the bricks have  finished loading

Another note, I used special invisible paint for the blast screens and stuff, so if your client is missing the paint some bricks might load as red, or whatever your first palette first color is (would be interresting if the bricks loaded properly anyways though).

Why is this paint special? It loads correctly. the 0 0 0 0 paint doesn't, as many others don't either. Also the spray effect is a visible white so you know what you're spraying.

Code: [Select]
255 255 255 1
DIV:Invisible
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 12:28:02 PM by Muffinmix »

very nice, the space elevator makes me wonder though, how would i be able to stay steady and not snap. it is supposed to be a future invention, but, it would still snap...wouldn't it?

Ill give the guild a 9/10. Its very nice. I just dont like the legs its sitting on.

very nice, the space elevator makes me wonder though, how would i be able to stay steady and not snap. it is supposed to be a future invention, but, it would still snap...wouldn't it?

Mine is made out of a special Carbon Fullerene called Aggregated diamond nanorods (Least compressible and hardest substance known to date, harder than actual diamond)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aggregated_diamond_nanorods

The actual real space elevator will be made out of Carbon Nanotubes though

lol its real, but it still would bend and snap tho, but it still has my 10/10 rating.