Author Topic: Hosting Issue  (Read 772 times)

I have been trying to set up a dedicated server on a new computer.
When I start the server, everything is working perfectly.  People can join and leave (when it isn't private) and it posts to the master server just fine.

However, after a usually random amout of time that can be anywhere from a couple of hours to a couple of days, something appears to just stop working.

It will still post to the master server, but the ping will now be --- and it becomes unjoinable.  When I try to connect from a different computer, each time I send a challenge request a little message will appear on the server saying "no matches".  If I restart the server, it works again, at least for a while.

What is the issue?
Is my router screwed up?
Do I need to forward my ports? (lol something I have not done)

I tried to forward my ports just in case, but I was only able to forward the ports 28000 - 28005 until I got an error message saying that I had run out of space.  I would be happy with just 28000, but...

Code: [Select]
Starting Internet Server
Binding server port ti default IP
UDP initialized on port 28100

Should I forward port 28100 instead of port 28000?
I can only forward 6 ports, which one(s) should I go with?

Do you have a dynamic IP or a static IP?
Also, it could be your DHCP server changing. You should find a way to change the lease time in your Router menu.

Do you have a dynamic IP or a static IP?
Also, it could be your DHCP server changing. You should find a way to change the lease time in your Router menu.

DHCP Server  Enabled 
Connection  DHCP Client Connected   
IP Address  98.227.205.91

These are the settings.  As far as I know, my IP has not changed over the last few years.

I tried forwarding ports 28000 and 28100, and so far the server has been working, but I don't know if it could still come down unexpectedly.

DHCP Server  Enabled 
Connection  DHCP Client Connected   
IP Address  98.227.205.91

These are the settings.  As far as I know, my IP has not changed over the last few years.

I tried forwarding ports 28000 and 28100, and so far the server has been working, but I don't know if it could still come down unexpectedly.
Is there nothing on a lease time? Mine has all this, plus options to extend the lease time.

Is there nothing on a lease time? Mine has all this, plus options to extend the lease time.

DHCP Server  Enabled 
Starting IP Address 192 . 168 . 0 .  0
Ending IP Address 192 . 168 . 0 .  199
Lease Time  1 Week 

Finally found this.  1 Week is as high as it can go.
I saw some stuff about Static DHCP, but that seemed to only affect LAN.

Odd.
I'm at a loss. Have you tried disabling DHCP?

Actually, after forwarding port 28100, the server has stayed up for two and a half days without going down, and I am happy with that.  I don't really understand why it could suddenly block all connections, or what "no matches" means, but it works now and I am a happy panda.

Turn off Windows Automatic Update.

I was hosting a dedi blockland server and I woke up one morning with nothing open and Windows Auto Update saying:

"Hey! We updated your computer for you!"

Turn off Windows Automatic Update.
Dont turn it off

But set it NOT to auto-download, auto-install and auto-reboot.
When you do this, you will get a little icon in your system tray that says there are updates available.  Then you can pick a good time to do the updates.  Like after you shut down your server and while you are eating dinner.

For port forwarding...
you have to set your own pc with a 'static' IP address for port forwarding to work correctly.  Otherwise things will act weird.

Yea, the issue was the forwarded ports.  It's been up for four days now no issues, a new record.  Anyone know why the server's ability to recieve clients was only temporary?