Author Topic: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library  (Read 2034 times)

I keep on getting this Error popping up when i try to host a server for the second time without restarting bl:

Code: [Select]
Buffer Overrun Detected!

Program: Desktop/Blockland/Blockland.exe

A buffer overrun has been detected which has corrupted the programs internal state. The program cannot continue safely execution and must now be terminated.

This is really annoying me >=[ Is it a general error or am i just being unlucky and the only one getting it.

Have you installed/tried to create any mods recently? I get that when I run two or more files with syntax errors on in Blockland.

Quote from: Me, in another topic
Well, hacking by buffer overload is putting tons of bad code into one part of the computer (see the IE "hacking" of the cursor) and having it 'overspill' into more protected parts of the memory which end up letting the hacker do what he wants with the PC.

Evidently the Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library protects against this sort of hacking by instant closing if it detects one and freeing all the memory of code.

It usually happens to me if I try to execute files and get syntax errors a few times. Have you recently downloaded any mods which might do that or edited the Bedroom mission file at all?

Hmm, Ill check my Consol for Syntax errors.

Yeah there was a few random things in my wands i had been making, Fixed now and everything seems to be fine. Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 04:37:18 AM by MrPickel »

It's worth mentioning that buffer overflows only occur when a program is coded in a sloppy way.
You should always (especially in large projects) code in a defensive way: check every string length, check every return value, ... and you won't get any buffer overflows.
I'm not saying it's entirely banspot's fault though.

Badspot

• Administrator
It's worth mentioning that buffer overflows only occur when a program is coded in a sloppy way.
You should always (especially in large projects) code in a defensive way: check every string length, check every return value, ... and you won't get any buffer overflows.

You should go through and audit the half million or so lines of code that make up the Torque script virtual machine and make them less "sloppy" and more "defensive" 

I would! Then I can send them to do my bidding >:D

I'll give you three fiddy ($3.50) for 1 student :D

You should go through and audit the half million or so lines of code that make up the Torque script virtual machine and make them less "sloppy" and more "defensive" 
Not saying that, just saying that torque sucks. I know you didn't make the scripting engine, but at least in .0002 BL wouldn't crash when you exec a file with a syntax error.