Author Topic: CS 1.6 Crashes Randomly  (Read 2926 times)

So, whenever I'm bored, I go play my favorite FPS, Counter-Strike 1.6.  But, it's extremely hard to play when my game freezes at random, followed by an ATi error message.  The game is still fine when it unfreezes (however I'll probably be disconnected for timeout.)

So far, the only things I know that cause this are OpenGL and ATi graphics cards.  So far, my only work around is D3D mode, but that runs slower.

No, I will not buy CSS, I already have it  :cookieMonster:.

Tom

How old is your computer? I don't think you will get a noticeable drop in performance with D3D if you have a decent computer.

How old is your computer? I don't think you will get a noticeable drop in performance with D3D if you have a decent computer.
Hard to explain, because I bought it and continuously upgraded it.

But the specs are...
Radeon HD 4550 512 MB
2 GB DDR (or DDR2, I forgot.)
2.0 GHZ Athlon Processor (forgot some of the specifics.)
And that's about all I can think of off the top of my head.

Games section?
I posted in the wrong one by accident...asdf.

don't use ATI
Even if I take my current graphics card out, it has an integrated ATI one, so no.

Buy Play CSS
I found it way too easy, even against players.

What are the major differences between 1.6 and Source?

Original:
-Riot shields.
-Old school.
-(Almost) any computer can run it.
-Small download.
Source:
-Physics.
-Removed riot shields.
-Need a decent-ish computer to run it.
-I think it's around 2-4 GB.

1.6 uses the HEAVILY outdated Half-Life GoldSrc engine. It's old, so it's relatively small and uses very little memory, but it's absolutely hideous, and has been outdated ever since the Source engine was produced. The only reason to play a GoldSrc game is for nostalgia, or if you're still running a computer from that era, in which case, you should have already gotten a new computer by now.

I dislike CSS's version of Assault.

CSS isn't easy if you play competitively.

Anyway, try updating your drivers, lol.

How the hell do people still play 1.6, the graphics are so horrendous