Tilting player

Author Topic: Tilting player  (Read 2521 times)

OK.
So, the other night, I was sitting in bed, trying to fall asleep, when I remembered an idea that I had a little while before. I couldn't get it out of my head for at least five or ten minutes, and then eventually fell asleep.
This playertype would have to use extensive scripting; in fact, even though it seems possible to me, it might not be.
You see, the playertype would not be only a playertype, it would use a vehicle, which would be forced or toggled. Probably toggled.

The vehicle would have to allow the player, or force the player to run the running animation, so that it would still walk. It would have no wheels, no model, nothing. This would make it a vehicle rather like the skis.
The similarity to the skis allows more to happen. The player would still be able to run, and run it would, until it reached angles which it could not deal with, in which case it would fall and sustain tripping damage. It would use the jump script from the skateboard, or the abandoned bit of code, jumpforce, would be used. When the player is in midair, and probably on the ground too, the player can tilt and stuff. In midair, it could be magnified to doing flips, barrel rolls, etc. Also, this would probably lend itself to jumping off of and running up walls.
So that's that, and I hope some good scripter looks at this, because I cannot get close to doing this at my level of competence.
If anyone actually starts making this, then please contact me. I would love to test it out.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 04:49:30 PM by Katadeus »

so when they jump, it equips the skis or something.

OK.
So, the other night, I was sitting in bed, trying to fall asleep, when I remembered an idea that I had a little while before. I couldn't get it out of my head for at least five or ten minutes, and then eventually fell asleep.
This playertype would have to use extensive scripting; in fact, even though it seems possible to me, it might not be.
------------------------------------------

You see, the playertype would not be only a playertype, it would use a vehicle.
The vehicle would have to allow the player, or force the player to run the running animation, so that it would still walk. It would have no wheels, no model, nothing. This would make it a vehicle rather like the skis.
The similarity to the skis allows more to happen. The player would still be able to run, and run it would, until it reached angles which it could not deal with.

So, you tap your forward key and you would keep on walking with out even pressing the forward key and to stop it would have to run into a inclined surface?

It would use the jump script from the skateboard, or the abandoned bit of code, jumpforce, would be used. When the player is in midair, and probably on the ground too, the player can tilt and stuff.

Having the player jump is possible to my knowledge. Having the player tilt is not.

In midair, it could be magnified to doing flips, barrel rolls, etc. Also, this would probably lend itself to jumping off of and running up walls.

Not possible eather to my knowledge.

------------------------------------------
So that's that, and I hope some good scripter looks at this, because I cannot get close to doing this at my level of competence.
If anyone actually starts making this, then please contact me. I would love to test it out.

This seems pretty cool idea. Just don't think it is possible for the part.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 07:21:42 AM by mntbrrychch »

so when they jump, it equips the skis or something.
That is such an inaccurate summary, I don't even know how you assumed that.
This would be similar to the skis.
It wouldn't just be when they were in midair, it would be when they were on the ground as well.

I wouldn't even dream of suggesting something so crude.

This seems pretty cool idea. Just don't think it is possible for the part.
Those things are possible for vehicles, but not players. The player would have to force use of the vehicle, or it could be toggled.

Those things are possible for vehicles, but not players. The player would have to force use of the vehicle, or it could be toggled.

I added comments in the quote if you did not see that.

But I need this big paragraph clarified if you can please.

so it can be like the horse riding playertype.

Yeah, I think so. I could look into all sorts of related scripts, though, and still fail horribly.

But I need this big paragraph clarified if you can please.
I saw all your comments, clarified what I understood might need clarification.
However, I think you misinterpreted the part where I talked about the "angle it could not handle." This means that it would the player would move around in the vehicle, exactly like normal walking, but if it tilted over sideways or forward, it would cause the player to fall, possibly tumble, and sustain around 5-15 damage.
Clear enough?

The player wouldn't 'walk' it would just have the animation of walking. Also, if the boots worked like the gravity jeep you wouldn't fall up, you would walk up the wall.

However, my guess to why this isn't made is because the vehicle would have to be in the shape of the player otherwise your player would not tun sideways or upside down. And that would ruin player avatars.
There is hope! I like hope!

Come on; I need people to look at this.
I'm not even sorry for the quadruple post!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 06:20:05 PM by Katadeus »

Wow 4 posts in a row. . .
Anyway I think this could work.

This sort of thing has already been suggested. Like the gravity playertype. Much like this, it's actually a vehicle, when I suggested it because the idea seemed forgotten, I said maybe it could be a vehicle that looks like shoes, and does the running animation. This concept is mainly brought up for the possibility of a gravity playertype. However no matter how many times this has been requested, and suggested, and proven possible, it hasn't been done. And I doubt it will be :/

However no matter how many times this has been requested, and suggested, and proven possible, it hasn't been done. And I doubt it will be :/

And that's why this is a sad story.

I want to see this.