Author Topic: Minecraft Ripoffs: They're Getting Worse  (Read 8890 times)

Ever since the Alpha mode of the much-hyped indie game Minecraft, clones or ripoffs have started popping up everywhere. Fortresscraft is one of the older ones, but gradually it's begun to get farther and farther away from where Minecraft started. Cubelands is a Classic mode clone, and there are several other games that are obviously inspired by Minecraft.

But then, Total Miner enters the arena.
(or entered, as this is old news by now)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_mgg-MNY-g
Oh boy! A cheap trailer!

Featuring: Unique landscapes

100% Original Textures

Terrifying (And Completely Original, Of Course) Lava Caves

Self-explanatory. When I get the time, I'll recreate the exact picture in Minecraft and then post it. You can't do THAT with a game that isn't a rip-off.

Now, you might be saying "But Blockoman! A game can have randomly-generated block-based worlds with mining, building and surviving elements without being a rip-off! After all, it doesn't have the CRAFT part of Minecraft!"

Hmm, you're right!

No, wait, never mind.

I've read that they even go so far as to have identical tool crafting recipes, and some "blueprint finding" system for faster crafting, whatever that may mean. Oh, and did I mention there's a "Creative" mode? Either way, it's terribly sad that any game developer could go this low.

However, there are a whole heap of features that this game has that should be in Minecraft, that no modders have made, including these features:

*Cave-ins

I'm sure your mouths are all watering after that huge list of awesome features, but remember the game is a rip-off. If any of you still aren't convinced, look at their explanation for the game.

Total Miner: Forge is a block mining sandbox game. It has Creation, Combat, Survival, Crafting and RPG elements.

Do some simple replacing...

Minecraft is a block mining sandbox game. It has Creation, Combat, Survival, Crafting and RPG elements.
It's true, isn't it?

Also, one of the developers posted some information not seen in the trailer, such as this tidbit about world size
...256 x 256 x EXTREMELY DEEP. You won't believe how deep this world is. The Minecraft and FortressCraft worlds are but a puddle compared to an ocean in this regard.

As well as the three surface caves, there are another 20 underground caves. Some are actually caverns, they are quite large, and some are just awesome, massive, monstrous wormholes winding through the rock. You can only find these underground caves by digging, unless you are lucky enough to find a surface cave that happens to intersect one.
Wow, 23 caves total in each world! That's much bigger than Minecraft's infinite worlds!

NOTE: Before you rage at me / post how this game is actually fun, notice how nowhere did I say that the game isn't entertaining. It's mining, building, and fighting in a huge world with monsters and grenades, what's not to like? Plus, it's cheaper than Minecraft or Fortresscraft (I think.) I'm sure that, just like Minecraft, its developer(s?) will continue to add content, and maybe eventually it will be unrecognizable from its current form.
But as it is, the game is not original. They add things like TNT with the exact same texture as Minecraft, acting like it's a brand new original idea (PREVIEW OF BRAND-NEW TNT!!), instead of actually trying to make it a new game.

Post your thoughts...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 03:41:23 AM by Blockoman »

Pictures are borked for me.
Anyways, this is just getting out of control. Can't Notch sue them or something? There has to be something he can do to stop the ripoffs...

Pictures are borked for me.
Anyways, this is just getting out of control. Can't Notch sue them or something? There has to be something he can do to stop the ripoffs...
You cant sue people for an idea.

And I think the "blueprints" thing for Total Miner is an awesome idea if you're a beginner and you don't know how to craft everything, and you can still learn a few things even if you've played minecraft for a while.

god damn why are you so angry about this

I'd play this if just for the splitscreen with my bros

I like the idea of cave ins.

and it's only $3, seems like a damn good deal

Notch himself said that these kinds of games are their own genre, and he merely started it.
It is a blatant ripoff, but it's not like it'll cut minecraft down dramatically.

and it's only $3, seems like a damn good deal
Agreed, particularly with cave-ins.

ohey what's going on in here

xbox only
DAMN

Ironically, people actually like it now that you introduced them to it.
Great job, you achieved the thing you weren't trying to achieve.

I like that rope item

And the cave-in

@ op
says the man with the Terraria avatar

@ op
says the man with the Terraria avatar

But Terraria is nothing like Minecraft besides the fact that you can dig and kill monsters.

I mean, come on, Terraria is much more RPGish as that's what the devs are going for. Plus it's 2D you idiot.

These are just like "People like minecraft, therefore I should make a game nearly exactly like minecraft and people will like it as well!"

you're handicapped as stuff

I sort of think Minecraft makes people handicapped.