Author Topic: An idea I came up with for an Adventure/RPG game! (READ BEFORE POSTING)  (Read 401 times)

Last night I was having insomnia so I took that chance of content and quietness to think about anything that comes to mind. Then I was thinking about gaming and RPG adventure games. I thought of a few concepts, and took from ideas and made my own.

The game's name was possibly the hardest part as I had no idea what I could name it. Eventually I caved in and named it "The adventure quest of pie" because that's a silly and nonsensical name. Then I thought of "Wayward Paladin; Quest of Salvation" and that's how I roll 8)

So I will keep each part of information to GROUPS. Groups that contain awesomeness.

Story

This story begins without a hero, and starts with the bad guy winning. A false deity seized control of earth a long time ago and sent his evil minions to keep humanity from rising up against him. The heavens stopped reaching earth, and prayers stopped reaching the heavens due to an evil spell the false deity cast, and thus the gods could not stop the evil false deity from ruling earth.

Although, one day, a noble young man decides to embark on a journey off of his home island to defeat the evil reigning over his land.

Character Development

Once the beginning of the game is over, you are shown a character creation screen. You first select the character's gender.

Then you select the profession. Professions determine stat difference, weapon preference and overall combat.

The classes are Fighter, Hunter and Scholar.
Fighters (POWER) use Swords and Axes
Hunters (DEXTERITY) use Bows and Daggers
Scholars (INTELLIGENCE) use Staves and Spellbooks

Then you choose parts of the character you're playing. Hair, face, eye color, hair color and then you roll your stats.
Power: How much damage you do (Specialty of adding critical attacks with Axes or Swords)
Dexterity: How often you attack (Specialty of allowing you to shoot arrows farther than usual)
Speed: How fast your character moves across the map.
Intelligence: How much spirit you have (Specialty of making spellbooks more powerful)

Once you make your character, the game begins.

Map

The map would conclude of 14 areas. Each area taking five minutes to cross each. Each area would be unique, and have tons of things to do. The goal of the game is to move north as much as possible to get to the Northern Iceland, and defeat the deity. There are a few reoccurring landmarks that I will list for you.

Towns: You can buy and sell things in towns. Usually there are 'Town Events' where you have to do certain things to get Experience and Money.
Shrines: When you get Experience from enemies, you can spend Experience points at shrines to increase your level and stats. There's a shrine for every area.
Boss Portals: Entering such portals will send you to the boss dimension where you have to defeat a boss.

Through traveling, the most important landmarks would be the Blacksmith, the Market, Four false shrines, a Desert Tomb and the Portal to Hell.

Blacksmith: Here you can upgrade your weapons and armor. There will be a section explaining the Blacksmith.
Market: Where almost every buyable item is bought. Also where you get most of the weapons.
False shrines: You fight mini-bosses in here to get the ultimate weapon.
Desert Tomb: You can get a scepter here that is used to open up the Portal to Hell.
Portal to Hell: On the 13th area, a portal to get you to hell, where the REAL final boss is.

Usually you run into enemy encampments where you fight a bunch of enemies at once.

Items

The items in the game are pretty simple. You only get a few, you can get misc. items useful to sell and you have weapons and armor. With weapons, you have Main weapons, which you wield in one hand, and secondary weapons which are just to use if you don't want to use the Main weapons.

Here's the weapons and armor.

Swords: Fighter Main
Shortsword. First weapon if Fighter. (CAN USE SHIELD)
Upgrades to Silver Shortsword.

Broadsword. Longer reach, does more damage. (CAN USE SHIELD)
Upgrades to Silver Broadsword, Golden Broadsword, Rune Broadsword.

Scimitar. Short reach, fast damage. (CAN USE SHIELD)
Upgrades to Gold Scimitar, Rune Scimitar, Holy Scimitar

Claymore. Very long reach, slow speed, lots of damage. (CAN'T USE SHIELD)
Upgrades to Rune Claymore, Holy Claymore, Ancient Claymore

Axes: Fighter Secondary
Two-handed Axe. Short reach, slow speed but good damage. (CAN'T USE SHIELD)
Upgrades to Emerald Two-handed Axe

War Axe. Short reach, normal speed and normal damage. (CAN USE SHIELD)
Upgrades to Ruby War Axe

Battleaxe. Long reach, slow speed, lots of damage. (CAN'T USE SHIELD)
Upgrades to Diamond Battleaxe

Bows: Hunter main
Shortbow. Hunter's starting weapon.
Upgrades to Iron Shortbow

Longbow. Long range, less damage, less accuracy.
Upgrades to Steel Longbow, Glass Emerald Longbow, Elvish Longbow

Warbow. Short range, more damage, more accuracy.
Upgrades to Glass Emerald Warbow, Elvish Longbow, Holy Longbow

Tower Bow. Long range, more damage, less accuracy.
Upgrades to Elvish Tower bow, Holy Tower bow, Ancient Tower bow

Daggers: Hunter Secondary
Knife. Short range, very fast.
Upgrades to Steel Knife

Dagger. Short range, very fast.
Upgrades to Gold Dagger

Balanced Dagger. Normal range, very fast.
Upgrades to Elvish Balanced Dagger.

Staves: Scholar Main
Shortstaff. First Scholar Weapon.
Upgrades to Strong Wooden Shortstaff

Staff. Long range, normal damage.
Upgrades to Iron Staff, Steel Staff, Silver Staff

Quarterstaff. Long range, better damage
Upgrades to Steel Quarterstaff, Silver Quarterstaff, Holy Quarterstaff

Warstaff. Long range, good damage, faster speed
Upgrades to Silver Warstaff, Holy Warstaff, Ancient Warstaff

Spellbooks: Scholar Secondary.
Flame Bolt. Constantly burns the enemy.
Upgrades to Explosion

Magic Burst. Use Spirit to attack an enemy with power.
Upgrades to Spirit Burst.

Icicle Strike. Sends many sharp icicles towards the enemy.
Upgrades to Ice Rain.

Armor consists of five upgrades. Armor protects from attacks, and allows it so you take less damage.
First you start out with Leather.

It can be upgraded to Iron-studded leather, Iron armor, Steel armor, Gold armor and then Holy armor.

Items you use conclude of things that you buy at markets that either use spirit, or are just used.

Gameplay and Combat

So let's start out with gameplay. Basically, it's HUD-less with the exception of an inventory screen or a conversation screen the come up by the push of a button. Usually your health is determined by your strength withering, your character moving slower, limping and things like that.

Fortunately you can use healing items and whatnot.

It would be an overhead 3D game, of course.

Now for combat. Basically it's built on combos. You have three attacks for each weapon type.

With swords, axes, daggers and staves, you have Horizontal slice, Vertical slice and stab. Then it's up to you to use these to make button combos using the three attacks.

Bows and spellbooks are different, though. With bows, you have the normal arrow attack which launches the arrow the way you're facing, then you have an attack where you curve the arrow by pointing up a little bit, and then you have a melee attack with the bow where you use the bow to attack.

There would be a lock-on system, too. Press a button and your character automatically faces the enemy. Once an enemy is defeated, you have to loot the body and take items out.

Now, to encounter an enemy, you can either do it by finding them scattered around in the overworld areas, or in a landmark.

In a landmark, enemies appear in groups.

To progress through each area, you have to defeat every enemy in every landmark (including boss), and reach a certain level. It's pretty straight-forward.

Next up is specific landmarks and their use.

Blacksmith: At the blacksmith, you can upgrade a weapon's grade, you can increase the range, how much damage it does and how light the weapon is. A weapon can only be upgraded a certain amount of time.

You can also upgrade armor. You can buy new armor and weapons from towns or cities, and each weapon has a "Durability grade". These grades include
Broken
Bad Quality
Normal
Good Quality
Fine
Perfect

The durability affects the weapon by how much damage it does, and the more use, the more it degrades until it's broken and unusable until repaired. The blacksmith can also upgrade durability, but it would be really expensive.

In towns, you can run around and talk to random people. You can buy spells which unlike spellbooks, affect you only. You can buy armor, weapons, items and companions.

Companions are different. If you have a companion, you can give them armor, items and a weapon, and they level up, too.

Goal, Ending and Conclusion.

The goal is to make it all the way north to get inside of the portal to hell to defeat the False Deity. To do that, you have to make it to the portal which unlocks the false shrines, defeat the minibosses and get certain items to open up the portal.

The endings consist of a good ending and a bad ending.

The good ending is where you defeat the final boss, and return to earth, where you destroy the portal and set off to destroy every last monster on earth.

The bad ending is where you get killed by the deity, and earth is destroyed along with the heavens.

So that concludes the thread. I hoped you liked my idea, as it took awhile to write up.

Anyways, I appreciate any feedback :D

Sounds alot like an Elder Scrolls game to me, pretty cool concept man.

Will this turn out like your other game?

Will this turn out like your other game?

It's just an idea.

I stopped working on anything else because BYOND is stuff

Nice idea, the story sounds like the story I had planned for my AdventureCraft map.

This sounds good you earned a  :cookie:

So a silver scimitar is a primary weapon while a diamond battleaxe is a secondary weapon?

So a silver scimitar is a primary weapon while a diamond battleaxe is a secondary weapon?

The secondary weapons would be powerful 'hidden' weapons, and as such, there's only a few of each.