Author Topic: Euclideon Island Demo 2011: Say Goodbye to Polygons  (Read 4179 times)

I don't get this. You guys are all saying that it will run at -7fps.

But the ability to make this level of detail already existed. The whole project is about making it run at a decent speed, not making it look nice. We can already make things look nice.

Their entire project is about optimization.

I've done like 18 ninja edits on this.
No it's not, didn't you watch the video? It's about making things look better.
In games where there are more polygons in the scene then pixels on the screen, this will far surpass conventional polygon rendering in terms of performance.
Sparse Voxel Octrees also allow for a few methods of animation using fairly standard bone techniques but with a little extra work behind the scenes. Collision detection can also be done quite precisely and rather quickly in comparison to octree based collision detection in conjunction with polygon rendering (the latter is fairly slow with many objects near one another). Alternatively collision detection can be done with the more standard bounding boxes that we use today which is faster and will offer just as much detail in physics simulations as we have in current games.

I would like to point out that in the video he says they are running the 21 trillion voxel scene at 20 fps and have other versions which run much faster. Although I don't see their specs doing a quick google search I found a video of a sparse voxel octree scene using roughly 200 billion voxels running at 60 fps on a medium end graphics card.

The technology is not as impossible as some of you make it out to be.
Thank you.

its hard to accept because it's never been done before, example follows. almost everyone used to say aimbot was fake and impossible on blockland until someone actually made it. there were a select few who knew aimbot WAS possible with blockland but it was never shown till someone actually made it.

i think within the next 20 years there is going to be another huge leap in this kind of stuff.

It's about making things look better.
Yes and no.

They can already makes thing look better, it's about making it so they can make things look nice without destroying computers.

They talked extensively about how artists are limited by restrictions on polygons due to optimization issues. How would this be the magical solution if it was not about optimization?

I did watch the whole video.

Dwarf fortress will always have better graphics.

Your post is invalid.

If you're insulting Dwarf Fortress because of the ASCII graphics you're an idiot.
If you're saying that Dwarf Fortress is a good game then you are correct. I can't tell which one you're doing.

If you're insulting Dwarf Fortress because of the ASCII graphics you're an idiot.
If you're saying that Dwarf Fortress is a good game then you are correct. I can't tell which one you're doing.
no such thing as sarcasm.

You have to realize that there are some people who do need some sort of graphics in their games to enjoy it. Him having an opinion that playing an ASCII for hours on end is boring doesn't make him an idiot.

that is if he is insulting it which I doubt. It seems he was making more of a sarcastic joke seeing as we all should know it has ASCII graphics.

although i dont care about graphics in a game, dwarf fortress literally hurts my eyes

although i dont care about graphics in a game, dwarf fortress literally hurts my eyes

same

Polygons are just shading between floating points in space, it's simple geometry.

Isn't this the same exact thing? Granted you're making hundreds of trillions of shading between trillions of floating points, as a plebian I can't really see the difference.

He was making fun of the fact that it lacks graphics, not saying the game sucks because it has bad graphics.
Youre the idiot.

Polygons are just shading between floating points in space, it's simple geometry.

Isn't this the same exact thing? Granted you're making hundreds of trillions of shading between trillions of floating points, as a plebian I can't really see the difference.
There is no shading between points. A shape is made up of many many thousand floating points, and those points are exactly what you see. They are scaled via the octree that is used to create all of these points, at no extra computational cost, to perfectly fit the pixels on your screen. There is so much possible detail because of the octree. As you move closer, the octree moves down an iteration and more points are drawn but at a smaller scale, yet still perfectly matching the monitors resolution so you get no artifacts or holes in the scene.

Was reading another thread about this. They haven't proven they can animate on it, or have any kind of physics engine. There may be 'unlimited' detail but forget if it wont lag the stuff out of everything

Was reading another thread about this. They haven't proven they can animate on it, or have any kind of physics engine. There may be 'unlimited' detail but forget if it wont lag the stuff out of everything
Was talking to Bob in accounting. They haven't proven the television will revolutionize the world, or have any kind impact on it at all. There may be a "large" fanbase but forget if it doesn't catch on it will make us stuff out our bonus pays

In other words, people like you are forgets and shouldn't be allowed to stop the flow of technological innovation.