Poll

32bit Windows 7 or 64bit Windows 7?

16 (11.9%)
119 (88.1%)

Total Members Voted: 135

Author Topic: Which is better, 32-bit Windows or 64-bit?  (Read 3134 times)

If my Windows 7 64 bit can install and run ALL of my 32-bit programs while letting me support more RAM on my system than 32-bit would, why would I or anyone else ever bother with a 32-bit OS?

I had no idea what the difference was before reading this thread

Are there any downsides to 64-bit? It seems too good to be true

If there are any then I haven't encountered them

Yes.
What's your argument?

He is being an idiot.

He's suggesting because Windows 98 uses the number 98 that seven is worse. What he doesn't seem to understand is that 64 bit is better because categorically its higher. Technically 7 is higher than 98 in the hierarchy.

64 bit definitely. Its where computers are going.

If my Windows 7 64 bit can install and run ALL of my 32-bit programs while letting me support more RAM on my system than 32-bit would, why would I or anyone else ever bother with a 32-bit OS?
Legacy PC?

A lot of older programs/games don't work on 64-bit. But it doesn't matter a lot, just depends what kind of programs you want to use. And I'm pretty sure there are multiple alternatives or compatibility patches by now.

Definitely 64 bit, although it costs a bit more money from what I know.

64-bit. It is capable of supporting more RAM, is more efficient and can still run things on a 32-bit compatibility interface. Also, if you get any 64-bit OS, Windows 7 is the way to go. It's much more memory efficient than the others, and the only other 64-bit Windows OS is Vista, and chewing a handful of staples is better than trying to use Vista.

He is being an idiot.

He's suggesting because Windows 98 uses the number 98 that seven is worse. What he doesn't seem to understand is that 64 bit is better because categorically its higher. Technically 7 is higher than 98 in the hierarchy.

64 bit definitely. Its where computers are going.

I was pointing out the flaw in someone else's logic saying 64 is simply better because its a bigger number and used this as a obvious comparison of how the logic behind that is flawed...

32-bit CPUs or 16-bit programs.

Windows wont even make it to 2020 :I
We are talking about the difference between 32bit and 64bit.

Not pretending we have a clue about stuff that we clearly don't understand.

64 bit generally allows the computer to accept more RAM, when it comes to Windows 7, and I believe other OS as well, 32 bit is limited to 4 GB of RAM.

How do you say 32-bit?  64-bit has like 0 issues.

yeah we live in golf world. where smaller numbers are better.

Ok thats good, that way you don't have to be ashamed of your richard  :cookieMonster:

64 sucks ass

get 128 ftw