Continue work.

Yes.
166 (57.4%)
No.
62 (21.5%)
I remember this from last year lol.
61 (21.1%)

Total Members Voted: 193

Author Topic: DrenDran trys again to make his game. (video and client posted)  (Read 19914 times)

Almost every year I've tryed to make a game like what you're about to see.
I was on these forums for last years attempt, which is here:
http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=126801.0
I halted that attempt mostly because I was busy, but even more so because my origional code was a mess, and implementing inventory and items was getting to be a mess.

Here's a topic from about 4 years ago:
http://www.gamedev.net/topic/466969-hireing-for---danaterinio/
(I haven't used the words "danaterinio" or "akkida" for anything since lol)

Here's a quote form a topic I found from 7 years ago:
Quote from: handicapped younger me
I can use sounds pictures drawings and programming. I need drawer and programmer volunteers to help me create a mmorpg that will be free to play for everyone. Send me this stuff by e mail. <hurpdurp used my moms old email, granted it doesn't even work anymore, but still> Is my e mail.I have good Ideas. It will be like a game similar to runescape but in modern times and with more specific actions and you can control more stuff in it like build houses and sell rocks and food and other stuff like that. You can build any thing you want like a firehouse. You chop down trees for the wood and mine rocks for metel. Build piece by piece or pre-select a building. With everything in real life submit any thing you can think of like a hot pepper plant. Send any thing from pencil to pictures this will be the best free mmorpg ever, really I just need other programmers pictures and sounds! I have a large Idea about this game. I have experience.

P.S You can be human or cat in the game!

P.P.S There are other animals and plants in the game. Also you could send cars tanks motorcycles and other stuff.
They get more and more handicapped as you go into younger and younger posts, as you can clearly see, I was about eight years old when I first wrote that.
I'm sixteen and a half years old now, and I'd hate someone like that these days.

On to the actual program...
For those of you around last year, this is a complete rewrite, this isn't the same game at all.
The target theme and genre is still the same, a 3d Multiplayer sandbox game.
Here's some pictures so far:

One of the login screens.
You can register or login to accounts here.
Could use some textures/images to make it look nicer.

The playing gui.
Shows stats up top, and chat at the bottom.
Once again, maybe someone here has some textures/overlays I could use?
(UPDATED, thanks kingdaro)

(note the new crosshair)
The objects you see are all stored in a file on the server.
Meaning new blocks can easily be created by the server.
In fact, I can just type a command into the server gui to make a new block.
By default they are stored in a "blocks.txt" file for the server to read on startup.
They can have any dimensions or positions and have any texture the client has, and can be set to colliding true or false.

Fully dynamic 3d lighting!
Gives models and stuff depth. Makes stuff look real.
Can do full day/night cycles too.

Full support for triangulated wavefront object files, a common text based model format that can be expored from modling programs like Blender.
Shaded for detail, color support works. Texture support (with partial alpha support coming a bit later) coming soon.

Binary transparency for textures!

Items and inventory!

Heightmaps and water.

Other than that, some other things to note:
---Server saves client data, usernames, passwords, last position, all that stuff.
---Server remotly triggers all sounds, adds all cubes. None of this stuff is client controlled.
---Support for 50 players at a time, and that can be increased. (not that that will ever be needed :|  )
---Inventory system coming soon, along with plants and stuff that you can grow.
---Sort of phyics implemented. You can climb up stairs (like in the lighting example) and jump off stuff and fall.
---Background of login screen (blue part) changes to be the color of the sky.
---Sky, base texture colorshift, and lighting color can be changed server side.
---Player join and leave sounds taken from blockland temporarly until I find custom/new sounds.
---Four client to server packets, nine server to client packets.
---Code of both client and server is about 60 kilobytes so far together.

This is made from scratch by me in C++ with SDL and OpenGL.
If you really want to try it, let me know.
Feel free to post any comments.
Also, if I ever get my website back up, it'll have a large part dedicated to my projects, like this and SyjSand.
Oh, and I'll probably be hosting the server from my home for a while.

Controls:
---WASD movement.
---T to start chatting.
---M to free/unfree mouse.
---ESC to close quickly.
---Shift to walk 5x slower.
---Click on stuff to do stuff.
---Enter to submit chat.
---Up arrow key to repeat last chat (in chat mode)
---Hold F2 for players list
---R to respawn.
---F3 toggle open Inventory screen.
---F to control view distance.
---Backslash ( \ ) to teleport-show/hide the "placement" brick.
---I J K L P ; to move around the placement brick.
---Right shift to toggle size changing mode.
---Ctrl to toggle slow (smaller steps) changing or movement mode.
---Enter to place placement brick.
---Left ctrl and z to undo last placed brick.
---right and left arrow keys to change texture
---N to change text render type, Win. XP users: press n at lesat a few times in game and post results.

People who want to test:
---masterockets
---roknrollwill
---DontCare4Free
---Mega-Bear
---?
---xHerobrinex
---aml
---Sullivan
---Tetris
---Orthone
---DaSord213
---Max4344
---Daedalus
---Nienhaus1
("masterockets", "Roknrollwill", "DontCare4Free", "Mega-Bear", "?", "xHerobrinex", "aml", "Sullivan", "DrenDran", "Tetris", "Orthone", "DaSord213", "Max4344")

DontCare4Free's bug tracker website:
http://syjgame.dontcare4free.com

http://syerjchep.org
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 02:38:52 PM by DrenDran »

I'd really like to try it.

I would like to try it, not sure I could find anything in it but still

Seems somewhat interesting.

Thanks for the support.
I'll try to polish up what I have now, make sure what I have has no bugs that I've overlooked.
Once that's done, I'll upload it somewhere, and PM those that want it a link to a video (showing gameplay) which will have a download link.
That way no one will complain about me posting exe file links on the website.

Thanks for the support.
I'll try to polish up what I have now, make sure what I have has no bugs that I've overlooked.
Once that's done, I'll upload it somewhere, and PM those that want it a link to a video (showing gameplay) which will have a download link.
That way no one will complain about me posting exe file links on the website.
Count me in.

Looks cool. If it's a sandbox game, is it going to be like GMod? Or will it have a different style?

It looks awesome. I'd like to see that gameplay video.

shat this out in inkscape, i just made a rounded rectangle and forgeted around with filters until I found something presentable

could serve as the chat window background or any other kind of in-game background

here's the resizeable .svg if you'd like to get a bigger size, or if you know what you're doing and you'd like to edit it

if not I can forget around with it and change the colors or anything you might need me to change if you'd like to use it

shat this out in inkscape, i just made a rounded rectangle and forgeted around with filters until I found something presentable

could serve as the chat window background or any other kind of in-game background

here's the resizeable .svg if you'd like to get a bigger size, or if you know what you're doing and you'd like to edit it

if not I can forget around with it and change the colors or anything you might need me to change if you'd like to use it
Actually looks fairly nice.
Also, I don't think it should be too hard (for Dren) to create something that could draw the svg dynamically. This has several quite obvious advantages (such as the ability for the game to automatically resize it after need), but I presume you already know about this.

So I'm trying to add at least binary transparency to my program.
Origionally all textures had to be bitmap files.
So far I remade the loading to accept bitmap files and png files.
That seems to work fine.
But I just learned SDL can't handle transparency at all, which really has me stuck for getting transparency to work.
I'll have to see if anyone has made an alternative to IMG_Load.
So any pixels of a texutre with over 50% transparency appear as just black, and anything with less transparency appears fine (but opaque) atm.

Holy stuff I just got transparency to work.
This makes me happy.
See:

Now to comment on some of your posts...

Cool, I'll try it out for the bottom chat window.
It looks awesome. I'd like to see that gameplay video.
Sure, why not.
I'll finish the inventory and try to get a vid up tonight.
Looks cool. If it's a sandbox game, is it going to be like GMod? Or will it have a different style?
Not like GMod.
Sandbox in this case means a world you can effect permanitly.
As in, you could chop down trees, and they'd stay chopped down until someone plants more trees there.
Then you could use that wood to make a house.
Which would stay there until someone else, say, destroys it.

That's just an example, but you see the point.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 06:21:43 PM by DrenDran »

« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 06:29:00 PM by Cubelands »

Why the change from:
Are you copy of blockand sandbox..umm rip it off from blockland, Badspot going sue your ass, good luck with this.
to
wat dat tat?

??