Author Topic: Slow Game Performance  (Read 1824 times)

I've done some searches and tried a few different things to fix this issue but nothing seems to help.

On multiplayer games where several buildings have been built, my game slows almost to a halt. I seem to be the only person on the server having an issue as well.
My system is pretty high-end as well so it should be able to handle Blockland without any slowdowns.

I have an AMD dual core 5000, and a Geforce 8800 GTS on Windows Vista w/2gb ram.

I've tried reducing all the quality settings to the minimums and turning off as many features as possible but it makes little to no difference.

I've also installed the AMD dual core fix with no luck.

Any help would be appreciated as it's almost impossible to play on many of the multiplayer servers.

Thanks in advance!

Sometimes people just lag. Sometimes I'd be lagging and no one else would be, then It'd stop and someone else would be. Does it happen ALL the time for you?

Vista has built in support for dual core processors, installing the AMD fix that is meant to be used on older systems on Vista is asking for crashes.
Here are some suggestions:

- Download and install the manufacturer's drivers for your video, audio, and network hardware, and make sure they are fully up to date and remove any drivers that you are going to replace first to ensure the registry is clean.
- Set all of the video, audio, and network options to default.
- Make sure to turn off any applications that eat away at your RAM, such as BitComet, Firefox, or Windows Defender (which fully scans your computer for viruses on startup, by default, Ctrl+Alt+Del, then click Task Manager, and go to the Processes tab, and close MSASCUI.exe if it is using over 20000k of memory, this program and others like it are HDD access intensive).
- Make sure you aren't using all of your bandwidth on other programs
- Make sure you have high-speed internet, though it is optional, dial up and Blockland aren't the best of friends.

More complicated and expensive fixes might be:

- Make sure that your RAM and Motherboard run at the same bus speeds, using a slow motherboard with fast memory will reduce your performance, I bought my computer for $1500 (CDN) with 667MHZ DDR2 RAM and when I loaded Bf2, it lagged with similar results, make sure that all of your hardware is compatible with your motherboard. It sounds like you recently bought your computer, so if you are able you should take it to a shop and make sure that the parts will work well with your motherboard. This kind of mixup can happen if you order the parts without carefully going over the specs and building the computer yourself, like I did.

Doesn't the AMD 'fix' just slow the game down by half as it used to run too fast? Installing it to fix a slow game will just break it even more!

Sometimes people just lag. Sometimes I'd be lagging and no one else would be, then It'd stop and someone else would be. Does it happen ALL the time for you?

Its not lag its defintely a FPS issue that only happens when I look at big buildings that have a lot going on in them.

I don't have any other programs running while I play. My system isn't new and it runs all other games flawlessly. The only thing I can think of is a bug in the 8800 chipset that makes things slow-down in Blockland.

I read of a faulty resistor in the first run of 8 series GeForce cards, but I also read that it was fixed prior to release. I'm thinking it is your processor or video card, try disabling any power-saving software like AMD Cool-N-Quiet, which throttles back CPU speed to save energy.

I read of a faulty resistor in the first run of 8 series GeForce cards, but I also read that it was fixed prior to release. I'm thinking it is your processor or video card, try disabling any power-saving software like AMD Cool-N-Quiet, which throttles back CPU speed to save energy.

I didn't even instal the Cool-N-Quiet, but all other games work fine....

Anyone else running an 8800 and get good performance?

Maybe your card doesn't like OpenGL?
Because I remember when I said why can't we make Blockland run with D3D, a lot of ppl, including Badspot said it was impossible.
Than how come a game, called Stunner, which can be found in the offtopic section on these forums, and also uses the Torque engine, had an option where I could choose what I want to use.
Why is this not possible with Blockland?
Because this guy has quite a decent machine, so I'm thinking the only problem is OGL, or he doesn't have up to date drivers.
Before you tell me "than why don't you just go update your drives" I can't, I have asked for help several times, but no one would help me on updating my drives.
Neither will ATI because I'm running a laptop.
so please answer my question, why is it not possible to make Blockland run with D3D, when another Torque game can?

In 0002 i could run Blockland on D3D.

Blockland can't use or isn't able to use DirectX properly due to, copyright, licensing and code. Most game developers will obtain or purchase DirectX code or emulation for their software, as the Blockland Engine is heavily modified, there isn't likely to be any compatible DirectX emulator code. Nvidia has always officially supported OpenGL as well. I'm sure that using DirectX in Blockland is plausible, but not likely as it could take months to be properly coded, and additional time to test the game and to introduce the new display mode.
The above statement may be totally incorrect, but is my attempt at an educated guess, if you have any good info on this, please post it.

To Spartan300, you should download the ATI Catalyst software, it is (to my knowledge) a universal software which can detect and properly install your hardware. Go here: http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html, if you aren't sure about the model you are using, go to (I read that you live in Russia, so this may be different): Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Information, then look for a drop box on the left that should say; Display Adapter or Video Adapter. If this only shows you; Plug and Play Video Adapter or Unknown Device (D:), check with whoever you purchased the computer from.

lmao wtf, I don't live in Russia..
I'm a citizen of Canada, eh?

Anyway, thanks for trying to help, but I do have the latest Catalyst software, but not the latest drives, this was all discussed in my other thread, and no answer was found.
Badspot claimed to have tried to resolve this issue with ATI, but couldn't.

Oh lol, I thought you lived in Russia or were Russian, silly me  :cookieMonster: :cookieMonster:

I am Russian, and Jewish, but I do not live in Russia.
I live in Canada, and have been for 5 years.
Anyway, anything to say on the D3D thing, Badspot?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 09:20:42 PM by Spartan300 »