Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Megathread! - Necro'd enough to count as a vampire  (Read 116711 times)

shooting birds out of the sky is fun. hit them once and watch as they hit the ground and break

You can carve tracks in stone now. I haven't done the wooden/metal constructed tracks yet. I haven't done minecarts either, but that's next. Tracks can be carved in stone floors or stone ramps, and it keeps track of the four directions in each tile so that you can have adjacent parallel tracks or carve writing into your fort without using too many tiles. For minecarts to make sense for mining, we'll have to change how mining works, but I want to get the carts moving first. By the time we're done, we're hoping to have the mining system remain about the same for new people, so they don't have to worry about tracks to get started (this might involve default embark wheelbarrows which dwarves would automatically use), but things will be much more efficient for people that use tracks and minecarts, across various industries.
Minecarts are a new tool in the raws. The minecart behavior is determined by the "TRACK_CART" tool use, so you can add your own carts called whatever made of whatever. I'm sticking with wood and metal minecarts called minecarts. Their state as a tool currently has the wooden minecart creation job in the craftsdwarf shop and all carts in the finished goods piles, but I'll likely diversify the tool raws there as well. If it's not too time-consuming to convert the whole eventual system, I'll give the 34.02-7 saves a default minecart tool as well -- as it stands they wouldn't have them.

I've started up hauling routes and vehicle assignments in order to get a cart on the tracks. That'll extend to beasts of burden traveling trackless routes (this will need hay and feeding stations or something, so the animals can eat while they are at stops). A hauling route is a series of stops with properties -- it doesn't have a notion of the actual path built in. We'll see how it plays out. Although once I've got a cart on a track I'll probably jump over to minecart physics and finish the hauling afterward, since it'll be hard to stay away from track accidents and carts hurtling through the air and stuff.
HEY-OH, TOADY'S MY HER-O

I just love starting random fights.

I kicked this guy to the ground and some other people backed him up and they started beating me while I was in the middle of the circle. I killed one of them though.

also how do I shoot a bow?

Wield a crossbow/bow then press "f" to fire.

Ok also me being stupid:
how do I change my weapon
I have a bow and a copper dagger
I want to use the dagger

Ok also me being stupid:
how do I change my weapon
I have a bow and a copper dagger
I want to use the dagger
Press "p" then put it in your backpack, then press "r" then the key for the dagger so it get's "Removed" to your hand.

And this time I didn't ask Jacob/Lee on how to do this.

I went ahead and just debug-put a cart on a track and debug-pushed it. They gain speed going down ramps, get slower going up, lose a little speed on the rest of the track, a bit more on corners, and they fly in little parabolas and crash into the ground when you set them free, either straight off a cliff or launched from a short upward ramp. I've put off updating the rest of the projectiles to have parabolic paths because I don't want to lose time dealing with adv mode targeting etc., but you may well see parabolic unit paths when creatures are unfortunate enough to take flight without wings.
Toady One I added track "stop" constructions, which greatly increase the friction in a square and cause (most) carts to stop (say, blocks, narrowing grooves, whatever might work). These stopping points will generally be where the hauling jobs take place. There are constructed tracks, and bridges now also act as tracks. Pressure plates can be given a weight range for being triggered by carts. I tested it out by making a retracting bridge system that sorted carts by whether or not they were loaded. I knew it was working when I started making little kerchunk sounds at the screen. There are powered "rollers" placed in strips that increase the speed of minecarts in a given direction, up to a point (more than enough to get them up a ramp, anyway). I don't have an engineering sense at all, so you can imagine the rollers to be... whatever you like. Perhaps they even make sense. Carts can also collide with each other, whether they are on the ground or in the air, and are generally one-cart-per-tile, though that can be violated where the code treats them more like general items (I doubt I'll be able to catch all of the cases, but I'll try to get the ones that matter). It will require a bit of tweaking to look good, but I did stack some carts vertically and shot a cart through the air into the middle of the stack, disrupting it, so that was fun.

Here I am, a modding newb, trying to make an aliens mod. I've been staring at the interactions file for a bit now and managed to put together a basic interaction that *should* cause instant, severe, localized necrosis when someone gets "facehugged." Right now it says "you facehugs!" and nothing happens, but it's progress I guess. The interactions RAWs are really simple when you figure it out, actually.

Hi, news from the newb modder. It probably has tons of issues and isn't done, but I have the majority of the xenomorph base done.
Code: [Select]
[CREATURE:XENOMORPH]
        [DESCRIPTION:A very dangerous creature. They reproduce via facehuggers implanting live hosts with eggs, and the aliens bursting out of the chest. Facehuggers are hatched from eggs laid by the queen.]
        [NAME:xenomorph:xenomorphs:xenomorph]
[CREATURE_TILE:'X'][COLOR:0:0:1]
[LARGE_ROAMING]
[LIKES_FIGHTING]
[EXTRAVISION]
[BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_CHASM]
[UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:1:3]
[OPPOSED_TO_LIFE]
[POPULATION_NUMBER:10:40]
[CLUSTER_NUMBER:5:15]
[CANOPENDOORS]
[ALL_ACTIVE]
[CAN_LEARN]
[NO_SLEEP]
[NOBREATHE]
[CARNIVORE]
[HOMOTHERM:10028] <--- should be 60 degrees fahrenheit
    [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SINEW:SINEW_TEMPLATE]
    [TENDONS:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SINEW:200]
    [LIGAMENTS:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SINEW:200]
    [HAS_NERVES]
        [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:BLOOD:BLOOD_TEMPLATE]
    [BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:BLOOD:LIQUID]
[MAXAGE:10:30]
[CASTE:FACEHUGGER]
[CASTE_NAME:facehugger:facehuggers:facehugger]
[POP_RATIO:100]
[NO_GENDER]
[CASTE:DRONE]
[CASTE_NAME:xenomorph drone:xenomorph drones:xenomorph drone]
[MALE]
[POP_RATIO:0]
[CASTE:HUNTER]
[CASTE_NAME:xenomorph hunter:xenomorph hunters:xenomorph hunter]
[NO_GENDER]
[CASTE:QUEEN]
[FEMALE]
[CASTE_NAME:xenomorph queen:xenomorph queens:xenomorph queen]
    [SELECT_CASTE:DRONE]
[SELECT_ADDITIONAL_CASTE:HUNTER]
[SELECT_ADDITIONAL_CASTE:QUEEN]
        [BODY:HUMANOID:HEART:GUTS:BRAIN:SPINE:NECK:SKULL:TAIL]
[SELECT_CASTE:FACEHUGGER]
        [BODY:FACEHUGGER_PROBOSCIS:2SKIN_FLAPS:8LEGS:TAIL]
[SELECT_CASTE:ALL]
            [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:CHITIN_MATERIALS]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:CHITIN_TISSUES]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:EXOSKELETON_TISSUE_LAYERS:CHITIN:FAT:MUSCLE]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_HEAD_POSITIONS]
[SELECT_CASTE:DRONE]
[SELECT_ADDITIONAL_CASTE:HUNTER]
[SELECT_ADDITIONAL_CASTE:QUEEN]
            [ATTACK:PUNCH:BODYPART:BY_TYPE:GRASP]
        [ATTACK_SKILL:GRASP_STRIKE]
        [ATTACK_VERB:punch:punches]
        [ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:100]
        [ATTACK_FLAG_WITH]
        [ATTACK_PRIORITY:SECOND]
    [ATTACK:KICK:BODYPART:BY_TYPE:STANCE]
        [ATTACK_SKILL:STANCE_STRIKE]
        [ATTACK_VERB:kick:kicks]
        [ATTACK_FLAG_WITH]
        [ATTACK_PRIORITY:SECOND]
    [ATTACK:BITE:BODYPART:BY_CATEGORY:MOUTH]
        [ATTACK_SKILL:BITE]
        [ATTACK_VERB:bite:bites]
        [ATTACK_entry_PERC:100]
        [ATTACK_FLAG_EDGE]
        [ATTACK_PRIORITY:MAIN]
        [ATTACK_FLAG_CANLATCH]
    [ATTACK:SLASH:BODYPART:BY_TYPE:TAIL]
    [ATTACK_SKILL:STRIKE]
[ATTACK_VERB:slash at:slashes at]
[ATTACK_entry_PERC:100]
[ATTACK_PRIORITY:MAIN]
[SELECT_CASTE:HUNTER]
    [AMBUSHPREDATOR]
[NATURAL_SKILL:AMBUSH:8]
[NATURAL_SKILL:BITE:10]
[NATURAL_SKILL:STRIKE:5]
[BODY_SIZE:0:10:10000]
[BODY_SIZE:0:40:50000]
[BODY_SIZE:0:80:85000]
The materials for their skin and stuff were taken from antmen. Xenomorphs are said to have a material similar to chitin for skin, so it's all cool. I'm not entirely sure what I have even works yet, but that's part of the modding process.

Some of the lines were incorrectly spaced, if you know how to mod then you'll see some strange, random spaces.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 01:40:41 AM by Jacob/Lee »

i strangled this guy untill he passed out
i proceeded to whip his head with my lash
i am a skilled lasher
it took me like 10 hits for him to die
was he a vampire or something

i am a skilled lasher
Skilled isn't too high on the list. And your stats such as your strength come into play, as well as other abilities such as fighting.

i am a skilled lasher
If he was a vampire he'd have got back up and strangled you in return whilst proceeding to rip your limbs off in a sudden outbreak of Fun.

Why you on page 3? You go back to page 1.

In other news:
- Got my entire fortress of population 92 decimated by a forgotten beast which incinerated my supplies and diseased most of my soldiers.
- Jagex have included a reference to DF in Runescape. We should all be very happy :) (Latest Thok saga)

Clear! *shocks the thread with paddles*