Author Topic: Reseting a computer password  (Read 1420 times)

So my old computer died and we now have our spare. Only one problem. It needs a password that we don't know. Is there anyway to reset this? Its a lot faster then our old one.

XP

Run in safe mode. I do believe there is an administrator account that appears and you can use the command prompt to change the locked account's password from there.

On startup, keep on spamming the F8 key until you get into safe mode. This will automatically put you in the Administrator account with all privileges. You can then go to Control Panel > User Accounts and forget with the password, or create another user account if you wish.

Also just a question, how did the other one die? Error messages?
It could be an easy fix.

If it's stopped working without errors you can try finding out about the PC, such as the power supply.

On startup, keep on spamming the F8 key until you get into safe mode. This will automatically put you in the Administrator account with all privileges. You can then go to Control Panel > User Accounts and forget with the password, or create another user account if you wish.

I get into safe mode and it still asks me for a password

Burn Ophcrack Live to a CD and boot with it in the drive.

When its starting up, press f8, it should get you into an admin account that can't be accessed from the normal login menu.

When its starting up, press f8, it should get you into an admin account that can't be accessed from the normal login menu.
Did you even read the topic?

Trenitys help kit?

I think that's its name.

Trenitys help kit?

I think that's its name.

Trinity Rescue Kit is it's name.

Bump.

I took it it apart ad the computer is 3.4 GHz and 2 GB ram. I need to know how to reset this thing. It's a really nice computer.

Nice job reading the topic pally.