Cloud Generator v3 (Realism Update 11/11/11)

Author Topic: Cloud Generator v3 (Realism Update 11/11/11)  (Read 14057 times)

Cloud Generator
By ottosparks.

Features:
-gui to make your life easier including a warning not to do something so big you'll crash!

-cloud generator since that's what the mod does
-3D Cloud Generation

Planned:
-Get serversided generation working.
-Add in seeds.

Info/Tutorial:

Magnitude: Odds of a cloud centre being placed at a point during preparation. Best kept ~1000+.
Cloud Centre Depth Range: Range used to determine the height of a point placed during preparation. I normally use "0 7" here.
Depth Difference Range: Ranged used to determine the difference in height between two cells during expansion. I normally keep this small, "0 2" or "0 1".
Expansion Loops: Times clouds are expanded. As of v3, this is seems to be best around twenty.
Expansion Chance: Chance that a cloud will be expanded during a single directional check.
"Second Chance" Expansion Type: If this is on, when a random isn't enough to expand a cloud, it will re-generate the random before every expansion in the next direction. No significant difference is seen save that this makes larger clouds that tend to generate more in other directions.
Get Absolute Value of Depth: Sometimes, grid values may be negative, if the are, they aren't built. This can cause cool effects or annoying ones potentially.
Smoother: This loops through and expands the lowest adjacent cells with certain other settings, to make the clouds look a bit smoother and to stop the clouds from generating as many 'walls'.
Smoother Loops: Times the smoother is run.
Smoother Difference Range: Used to determine the random subtracted from the difference of the cell in question and the lowest adjacent cell. Best kept around "0 2".

Previews:
Examples of pretty good generation:

Video(s):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKuVQwFKzaI (Old video.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nAECv50TvU (Old video.)

Download:
Dropbox (Current)

Any feedback is appreciated!

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 03:13:17 PM by otto-san »

Seems like it could be abused

i don't think it would be able to lag a server unless the server host did something stupid with it.

I may make a seed-based version later on.

I appreciate the feedback so far! :D

Edit:
I'd like if some more good sets of randoms were posted with pictures for the OP.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 11:26:56 PM by otto-san »

Very hot.

See if it is possible to add a little bit of depth to the clouds, like they also have a chance of expanding up under certain conditions.

Quite frankly I don't understand the use in this.  Clouds on the ground? :|

Quite frankly I don't understand the use in this.  Clouds on the ground? :|
I'll assume they can be floating...

It kinda seems pointless.
But the generation itself has potental.

I think it would be a bit more useful if it made layered clouds, not flat ones.

Jeeps can be abused by blocking doors.

JVS can be abused by trapping users.

Events can be abused by projectile spam, relay spam, trap bricks.

Everything is potentially abusive. Please do not try to bring down peoples work with a thoughtless excuse.
As for the actual addon, seems good although I'll be surprised how many people use it practically.