Author Topic: Cloud Generator v3 (Realism Update 11/11/11)  (Read 14059 times)

Is it only in that little 34x34? (or is it one of the other baseplates?) Seems like you could only build in that space if you want it realistic...

I can't see myself using this but its very cool looking

Is it only in that little 34x34? (or is it one of the other baseplates?) Seems like you could only build in that space if you want it realistic...
I only know what 8 of those are by reading it, when i see sDifMi or dDMax, it needs a bit more explaining....
look at the GUI, it has pretty good explanation.

edit:
To answer your questions anyways:

adjustable size, but note you can crash from doing really big cloud layers.

I only know what 8 of those are by reading it, when i see sDifMi or dDMax, it needs a bit more explaining....
mX - X size
mY - Y size
M - Magnitude (Chances that a cloud centre will be placed during preparation.)
rMin - Minimum random for cloud centre depth.
rMax - Maximum random for cloud centre depth.
dDMin - Minimum random for depth difference between two cells during expansion.
dDMax - Maximum random for depth difference between two cells during expansion.
loops - Times that the cloud layer's clouds are expanded.
Type - Type of generation. Currently anything other than "Server" works for this well.
dB - Datablock used for server cloud generation.
cloudColour - Cloud colour used for server cloud generation.
getAbs - Whilst getting depth difference or building clouds, it gets the absolute value of the cell first.
expC - Chance that a cloud will expand during expansion.
intposX - Initial position X (server)
intposY - Initial position Y (server)
intposZ - Initial position Z (server)
secondChances - If this is on, when a random isn't enough to expand a cloud, it will re-generate the random before every expansion in the next direction. No significant difference is seen save that this makes larger clouds that tend to generate more in other directions.
smooth - Boolean for activating the smoother.
smoothloops - Times the smoother is run.
sDifMi - Minimum random for the value subtracted from the difference of two cells during smoothing.
sDifMa - Maximum random for the value subtracted from the difference of two cells during smoothing.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 04:37:02 PM by otto-san »

I saw in the videos that you place a brick that you want the generator to use to make the clouds.  If we were to increase the size of the brick used, instead of using a 2x2 brick, to maybe a 4x4 or 8x8 baseplate, if we could then increase the total coverage of the cloud by the factor of the 2x2 to the bigger brick and have no change in lag.

Also, I haven't tried it out yet, but does this generate a still formation of a cloud or does it scroll and deform like real clouds?

I saw in the videos that you place a brick that you want the generator to use to make the clouds.  If we were to increase the size of the brick used, instead of using a 2x2 brick, to maybe a 4x4 or 8x8 baseplate, if we could then increase the total coverage of the cloud by the factor of the 2x2 to the bigger brick and have no change in lag.

Also, I haven't tried it out yet, but does this generate a still formation of a cloud or does it scroll and deform like real clouds?
All those videos are outdated.

What you said is true, you can use bigger bricks and make larger layers, but they typically look a bit odd.

In the current version, they somewhat realistically expand upwards using a series of parameters, but the clouds don't yet expand downwards. That'd be an exclusively serversided option if I implement it, because obviously it won't work well clientsided with the float error.

Can the color of the clouds be changed..? I didn't see anything about it anywhere...

Can the color of the clouds be changed..? I didn't see anything about it anywhere...
It uses your currently selected paint colour.

Ah, Download from me then.

also i'm probably going to ANOTHER complete recode whenever I work on it again to include cloud bottoms

I think this layer was pretty good (technically it's two layers but w/e)

Randoms are:

layer 1:
Size: 128x128
Magnitude: ~4564
Cloud Centre: -2 9
Depth Diff.: 0 2
Ex. Loops: 15
Ex. Chance: 30
Abs. Val: i dont remember, pretty sure it was true
Second-Chance: no
Smoother: yes
Sm. Loops: 15
Sm. Diff: 0 3

layer 2:
Magnitude: 6224
Cloud Centre: -2 5
Ex. Chance: 27
Abs. Val: yes

I think this layer was pretty good (technically it's two layers but w/e)

Randoms are:

layer 1:
Magnitude: ~4564
Cloud Centre: -2 9
Ex. Chance: 30
Abs. Val: i dont remember, pretty sure it was true

layer 2:
Magnitude: 6224
Cloud Centre: -2 5
Ex. Chance: 27
Abs. Val: yes

HEAVEN

I liked the idea until I found out it was made of bricks, but it is awesome.

I liked the idea until I found out it was made of bricks, but it is awesome.
why wouldn't it be made of bricks

i dont imagine what else would make sense

Should make the smaller bricks turn into bigger ones. For example, 4 2x2s all lined in a cube should be a 4x4.