Author Topic: A "your server is dead" notification  (Read 1759 times)

fishpen0

Basically, I think that if you are running an internet server, it should tell you if your server is dead,  this would be good for newer players who haven't completely gotten a handle on running a server.  I just feel really bad when I am choosing a server to join and someone named their server "Please join, no one likes me :("  and it is dead and they probably don't even know that it is dead. 

So I think it should just say something in a box when your server starts up like this "Your server is dead.  Please check your internet connection and Security settings."  Then you can click "continue", "close server", or "check again".  Then in blue on the bottom it should say "Have you tried port forwarding?"  and it should be a link to the tutorial on port forwarding.

I would make this if i knew how xD

I wonder if the getPing() would return "Dead" or 0 for that.

ServerConnection.getping(); would get your current ping, which won't be dead if you are able to play. It shows as dead in the list because the ports aren't allowing it to read or something...

fishpen0

Yeah, which is why there are always servers that are dead, that beg you to "pls join no one ever comes"  It would only have to somehow check the serverlist to see if your server is dead, then if it is, it should just notify you...

A good way to check yourself:

1. Download and install Blockland Editor from Downloads page on Blockland.us.

2. Start a server.

3. Press F10, open the middle colomn listy thing, choose JoinServerGui I think it is.

4. Press F10 again, check the list for your server.

5. To go back to your server, hit F10, choose PlayGui from the list, press F10 again.

But noobs are too dumb to know or know how to install the mission/gui editor...

A good way to check yourself:

1. Download and install Blockland Editor from Downloads page on Blockland.us.

2. Start a server.

3. Press F10, open the middle colomn listy thing, choose JoinServerGui I think it is.

4. Press F10 again, check the list for your server.

5. To go back to your server, hit F10, choose PlayGui from the list, press F10 again.

Or there is canvas.pushdialog(JoinserverGui);  :P

but that shows your server as dead no matter if people are in it or not (For me anyway)

Erm.. Either make a script checking the joinServerGui using $Pref::Server::Name or use the direct master server file.